cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT over VPN Tunnel... depending on destination

m.s.rees1
Level 1
Level 1

Just wondering if anyone could help out with this...

We currently have multiple VPNs in use on an ASA and are looking to add a new one. We would like the new one to NAT whilst it goes over the new tunnel (none of the others do). Is there a way of mapping all source addresses (not just specific addresses or subnets) to a single NAT address, on this tunnel only, without affecting the other tunnels?

So something like.... "If client is going to destination X on the new tunnel, then NAT with specified address, if going anywhere else, do not use NAT.

For example:
Tunnel 1: Source 192.168.1.1 (No NAT) -------------------VPN TUNNEL --------- 192.168.2.1
Tunnel 2: Source 172.22.22.1 (No NAT) -------------------VPN TUNNEL---------- 172.22.23.1
New Tunnel: Source Any Address (NAT with 10.10.10.1)-----VPN TUNNEL-----------Tunnel servers 10.10.10.0/24

Apologies if I haven't explained it clearly.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nat (inside,outside) source static MHM-ANY MHM-NAT destination static Tunnel-Subnet Tunnel-Subnet <<- this one  correct 

It effect other vpn? No it have no effect since you make NAT condition with destiantion 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

that NOT work as I know, VPN is L3 so you need different subnet in each side

Well for example, we have a subnet of 10.10.10.0/24 and the tunnel devices are going to be on the same subnet on the other side. So I was going to set up a NAT of say 10.10.10.1, which would be able to access the tunnel devices. I need to make it that any IP that tries to get to 10.10.10.0/24 (over the tunnel), translates to 10.10.10.1 before going over... that's where I am stuck. I don't want it to affect any of the other tunnels and only translate when accessing the 10.10.10.0/24 range (over the tunnel) and not in any other scenario.

As I mention befor s2s is l3 so sunbet must different or using NAT for overlapping which you do opposite here.

I share config you can try.

Note:- 10.10.100.0 is only NATing subnet it no need to connect to any ASA interface.

Hi @m.s.rees1 

If you can work with the remote site admin, you can use the example on the link below.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-firewalls/211275-Configuration-Example-of-ASA-VPN-with-Ov.html

Thanks, I came across that document I think, but they are saying to use specific local addressing as part of the NAT and I need to allow 'any' client and not any specific IP or subnet. As we have various sites and a lot of home workers, we wouldn't be able to use a specific addressing in this case.

msrees1_0-1689776056186.png

New Tunnel: Source Any Address (NAT with 10.10.100.1)-----VPN TUNNEL-----------Tunnel servers 10.10.10.0/24

Object network MHM

Network 0.0.0.0

Then add you NAT 

In other side you need staitc route for 10.10.100.0 toward s2s2 vpn peer IP

Ok thanks for your reply, so if I was to use your config and do something like this:

Object group MHM-ANY

Object-group MHM-NAT

object-group Tunnel-Subnet
10.10.10.0/24

The nat would look something like this:

nat (inside,outside) source static MHM-ANY MHM-NAT

or

nat (inside,outside) source static MHM-ANY MHM-NAT destination static Tunnel-Subnet Tunnel-Subnet

Is this right?

If so, will this affect any other Tunnels that are on the ASA currently (there is no other NAT config on the ASA)

nat (inside,outside) source static MHM-ANY MHM-NAT destination static Tunnel-Subnet Tunnel-Subnet <<- this one  correct 

It effect other vpn? No it have no effect since you make NAT condition with destiantion 

m.s.rees1
Level 1
Level 1

Pefect, that's what I needed to know! - thanks so much.