Views
Helpful
Replies

Need examples for remote vpn windows client ASA 8.2

robert.mccarter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been searching all morning and cannot find any examples for ASA 5505 v8.2 remote vpn connections using the Windows XP client.  I would like an example that uses the ASDM interface.  I tried the vpn setup wizard (which seemed straightforward) but I cannot create a vpn session to the ASA from a remote location.

I would prefer not to use the Cisco VPN client software.

Thank you,

Robert

5 Replies 5

rahgovin
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, that is the document I need, but I need it for version 8.2.  There are some discrepancies with that version (

7.2)  and version 8.2.  I am relatively new to Cisco products and not comfortable using the CLI interface.

Thank you,

Unfortunately I don't think there is an ASDM guide for your requirement for the 8.2 version. But the CLI commands are basically the same as in 7.2.

The CLI version of 8.2 is here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/l2tp_ips.html

Also you can look at step 5 of the below link to better help you to configure using the ASDM.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080930f21.shtml

Thank you for your reply.  Maybe that explains why I have been searching all day to no avail.

What I am trying to do is use my ASA 5505 as a vpn device to get to my LAN remotely.  I want to authenticate using a user set up in the ASA 5505.  I do not have a Windows server of any sort on the LAN.  I thought I should be able to use the "IPSec VPN Wizard" to create a remote VPN connection to the ASA and gain access to my LAN.

Is what I am doing possible using a Windows XP vpn client?

Thank you for any help you can provide as I am totally lost.

Yup. You can do using l2tp over ipsec with ASA as vpn server. In the example the authentication method is given as IAS RADIUS server. In your case you can just use the ASA s local user database to authenticate the users.