cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outlook disconnecting via AnyConnect VPN?

Mottok
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, this is a very general level question from a network trainee (i.e. I don't have full details of how this VPN is setup but I can find out).

We have had a new Cisco Anyconnect VPN setup on Cisco ISE v2.4. Anyconnect client is 4.8.03036. We run a hybrid setup of some exchange legacy servers on premise but mostly we are running from O365 in the cloud. 

I am running Outlook 365 and others are running Outlook 2016 clients. Basically some of us are having constant problems with Outlook disconnecting. We have to completely restart our laptops to get Outlook to connect again and when it does it could disconnect at any point or go for hours and be fine. This happens without fail every day.

*EDIT I should say that without the VPN Outlook performs perfectly

The only correlation between the users that seem to have the most consistent disconnections (myself included) is that we use Sky broadband as our ISP. But may just be a coincidence as there are only three of us.

Any thoughts or help very much appreciated, thank you.

5 Replies 5

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Mottok 

check if your DNS traffic is not being tunneled back to the office, or even all traffic slowing down your web surfing.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Thanks for that, in theory how should the traffic for O365 be routed, directly to the internet? And where do the changes for that routing take place e.g. the VPN itself (within ISE policy??), on premise firewall etc? Just trying to understand it as we don't currently have the resources to investigate this issue I am trying to help out and have no experience of VPN's. Many thanks.

I am having the same issue with some of my machines, we are using anyconnect ver 4.9.0195.  VPN routes the ip address via the office firewall before going out.  Did you find a solution?

Hi, the only thing we found was that certain broadband providers are causing issues. Everyone with Sky broadband had these issues. We also had some disconnection issues with BT broadband but these were only occasional and may have been down to issues on the network for a short period of time. I had Sky and had the issue every day multiple times a day over a period of a lt least a year. I moved house 2 months ago and now live in the country and need to use a local broadband provider, it works perfectly now, not a single issue (everything else is exactly the same as it was before). Cheers 

Thank you, the users that have this issue also have Sky but I don't think I can ask them to change.
Thanks again
Rukh