cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX VPN with Windows

rniemeyer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few external clients that need to access the internal file servers and want to use the Cisco VPN to accomplish this. I'm somewhat of a newbie and was hoping there was a detailed tutorial out there to get this setup or some other information someone could share for this soution. I'm not using AAA servers, and would like to use the IPSec route. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

5 Replies 5

jmia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi -

You might find the following document useful for your need:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009442e.shtml

Thanks/Jay.

Jay, thanks for the response and yes that will help. I already have 3 IPSec connection with external clients using a VPN concentrator on their end. Will setting up the configuration in the above doc affect those in any way?

yes.

What you would want to really be concerned with in the above example, is the crypto map statement that refers to the dynamic crypto map set. You will want this one (for end user clients) to be set to the lowest priority, so the highest number (i think the max number is 65k, or some such) of all of your crypto map statements to ensure that your site to site ipsec tunnels do not try to negotiate the parameters that you will be using for end user vpn access (as they might require username and password auth, and other features the other end is not configured to do).

mostiguy, Thanks for your response. I'm almost there. Inbetween the PIX and my internal network I have a 3640 and there are several networks I want to be able to access on the other side of the 3640. Do I need any special routes configured on the PIX or 3640 if I want to be able to access files on the internal LAN? Thanks!!

so long as both have default routes, and all the subnets you want to have access to are included in your crypto maps, you should be fine