Views
Helpful
Replies

Ricoh printer goes offline during IPSEC VPN connection

FletcherBrad
Level 1
Level 1

I have an IPSEC VPN configured that the user has no problems with except:

When she is using Remote Desktop from location H to location Q, she wants to be able print back to H. The printer in H goes offline about 15 seconds after the VPN connection is established and comes back up as soon as the connection is disconnected. I've used this configuration many times and never had this problem. Is it particular to Ricoh's? It's a Ricoh MPC3500. The config is below, names have been X'd out to protect the innocent

2 Replies 2

FletcherBrad
Level 1
Level 1
I believe I found my answer
6,397 posts since
Oct 13, 2005

Dec 17, 2010 5:33 PM                             (in response to David Jones)
Re: Unable to Print Locally

For  printing locally when connected via VPN session, you would need to have  split tunnel configured to start with. Further to that, the office  network/subnet can't be in the same subnet as the local subnet as that  fails the normal TCP/IP L3 principal and one of a reason printing  locally won't work if the office network happens to be in the same  subnet as local subnet. If you have split tunnel configured, and office  network is different to local network, printing locally would work.

anusinga
Level 1
Level 1

All printers that are on the same LAN will install properly and function properly (how to fix printer offline). Printers will either not install or immediately bring up a list to select the appropriate printer to print to (indicating connection failure). From each computer I can successfully ping the printer (25-30ms response times). Computers are Win7-64bit. No Print Servers are brokering, all direct IP connections.

Note: For more details on: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/431179-printing-over-ipsec-vpn-major-connectivity-issues