Views
Helpful
Replies

SSL Clientless VPN: Problems accessing internal HTTPS site

gschoenle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've set up the SSL VPN on a Cisco ASA 5505 firewall running version 9.2(4)5. Login is working. If I try to access internal webserver by using HTTP it's working, too.

But if I try to access a secure webserver the connection fails. The webbrowser displays the fallowing message: "Server X.X.X.X unavailable".

The HTTPS server is available. I can access it from the internal network. Furthermore the ASA can perform a "TCP ping" on port 443.

I tried to find out what's the problem. Therefore I used tcpdump on the server to get some network packages.

I've detected an error in SSL handshake. First I can see the client hello message from the ASA. It propose the fallowing cipher suites:

TLS-DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA
TLS-DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
TLS-RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA
TLS-RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA

The server confirms the cipher suite "TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA". The server starts the key exchange. But then the ASA send a TCP reset.

This is what I've set up on the ASA:
ssl server-version tlsv1-only
ssl encryption dhe-aes256-sha1 dhe-aes128-sha1 aes256-sha1 aes128-sha1

If I disable the cipher suites "TLS-DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA" and "TLS-DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA" on the server it's working. If I disable the encryption algorithm "dhe-aes256-sha1" and "dhe-aes128-sha1" on the ASA it's working, too. Client/ server will then use "TLS-RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA".

But why is it not working if Diffie-Hellman is enabled? Could this be a bug?

Kind Regards

1 Reply 1

Rizwan Haider
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have Cisco ASA 5540 with IOS asa917-32-k8.bin. I have setup SSL web VPN and having same issue with https internal server unable to access.

I have adding all ssl encryption as above mentioned but same issue. 

Please advise if someone fixed it.