Views
Helpful
Replies

ssl VPN failover

v_rajure
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a SSL VPN 500 license appliance running. I also have a ne 5520 firewall bundle. Can I use the firewall bundle as a failover ( active / active OR active / standby ) to the current 5520 with 500 SSL licenses ?

If not what is required to have a failover for 5520 with 500 SSL appliance ?

Thanks,

Vin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are running version 8.2 and earlier, then you would need to have the same 500 SSL user license activated on the new ASA5520 to run failover.

Both ASA needs to have exactly the same hardware, module, license to run failover if they are running version 8.2 and earlier.

However, if you are running version 8.3 and later, you do not need to have the same 500 SSL user license activated on the new ASA5520. You can configure failover straight away.

Hope that answers your question.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are running version 8.2 and earlier, then you would need to have the same 500 SSL user license activated on the new ASA5520 to run failover.

Both ASA needs to have exactly the same hardware, module, license to run failover if they are running version 8.2 and earlier.

However, if you are running version 8.3 and later, you do not need to have the same 500 SSL user license activated on the new ASA5520. You can configure failover straight away.

Hope that answers your question.

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the answer. I wanted to confirm the same. But then anyway upgrade is required as 8.3 requires 2GB of memory without which it won’t work. Is it that it won’t work or it will work but not recommended ?

Regards,

Vin

It will work, however, you are right, it is not recommended. Purely because if you are sending more and more traffic through the ASA, it could potentially impact on performance.