Views
Helpful
Replies

traffic question

seaburn997755
Level 1
Level 1

Hey there,

When i come to vpn i am a bit of a noob i have not worked with them a lot before.

I just started working for a company from home and I am using the anyconnect vpn 3.1 client.

Now I find myself sometimes in the situation that I have left open some downloaders or other programs that are using the internet traffic.

Now my questions is are is my internet traffic going trought the vpn and can the company see what I am doing ? Or is its split so that just the traffic goes trought which is meant for the company?

The only thing that I could find is that in the ROUTE Details there are a lot of entry’s with internal ip like 10.x.x.x/x and 192.x.x.x/x

If you could tell me if my traffic goes trought there and if they can see it that would be great and if so is there a way to really split the traffic so that I don’t have to worry using downloaders or other programs that use traffic via the VPN corporate network.

Thank you for your time hoping to hear from you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I would imagine if they want to check they can see your DNS queries on their server.

And I imagine that you will need the corporate DNS server to be able to do your work so that cant be changed.

I guess you dont have a separate PC that is used only for work? Naturally the best situation would be if you have a separate work laptop/desktop and another for personal use. I guess that also depends on the nature of your work. Usually the employer provides the "tools" required for the work. Dont know if your situation is different.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If ALL of the traffic from your computer was going through the VPN Client connection the ROUTE section would only show one route which is 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0.

This would mean that the VPN Client was using Full Tunnel and would tunnel all traffic through the corporate network.

In this case it does seem that your Internet traffic is going through your local Internet connection at home. You might be using the corporate DNS server probably while the VPN connection is open but your traffic to Internet is going through your Internet connection at home.

I guess you can do a DNS lookup on your computer with

Windows Start Menu -> Run -> Write nslookup -> Check which server it lists on the command prompt

Hope this helps

- Jouni

Thank you Jouni for your quick response

When i do the nslookup i get an 10.10.0.x address my guess is that this is a corporate address which means my traffic goes trought them.. ?

Hi,

It would seem to me that you get a  corporate DNS server(s) IP address when you connect with the VPN. So all of your DNS querys will go to the corporate server through the VPN Client connection BUT all the Internet bound traffic will head out through your local Internet connection.

So basically your computer uses the corporate DNS server to get the IP addresses corresponding to the different sites DNS names while browsing the Internet but NO actual HTTP (etc) traffic to the Internet through the VPN Client connection.

As I said before, since you only see some private IP address range networks on the ROUTE section of the VPN Client, that means that Split Tunneling is in use. Your Internet traffic IS NOT going through the VPN Client connection.

Hope this helps

Remember to mark the reply as the correct answer if it answered your question. Ask more if needed

- Jouni

Ok awesome on last thing :-)

Even if i use their DNS can they see what i am looking up? if i by any chance forget to dissconect the vpn lets say i would play a online game or something like that.

Hi,

I would imagine if they want to check they can see your DNS queries on their server.

And I imagine that you will need the corporate DNS server to be able to do your work so that cant be changed.

I guess you dont have a separate PC that is used only for work? Naturally the best situation would be if you have a separate work laptop/desktop and another for personal use. I guess that also depends on the nature of your work. Usually the employer provides the "tools" required for the work. Dont know if your situation is different.

- Jouni

thank you so much then i just need to remember to check that i dont leave it on :-)

Thank you for you time!!

Cheers Chris