Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using 2901 router as a SSL VPN

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone could give me a hand on this. I'm trying to use a Cisco 2901 to allow remote workers to have access to resources on the LAN using AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. I've just read this doco

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/3800-series-integrated-services-routers/110608-ssl-ios-00.html

But it seems that it doesn't support 2901 platforms.I quote:

SSL VPN or WebVPN technology is supported on these IOS router platforms:

• 870, 1811, 1841, 2801, 2811, 2821, 2851

• 3725, 3745, 3825, 3845, 7200, and 7301

Is that just because this artile is old?

Before I spend money on the wrong licence I decided to give it a go (following above article). So when I went to

"Configure > Security > VPN > SSL VPN > SSL VPN Manager" CCP says that I need "(securityk9)" licence. I followed then the link "activate licence" and clicked on the tab "evaluation licences". But from there there are two that looks good to me:

• securityk9 (theh one that CCP says it needs)
  • SSL_VPN (the one that sounds reasonable as AnyConnect uses SSL VPN ,right?)

Which one is the right licence? Can anyone shed some light please?

Also, is there any resource that explains better all the options and how to configure AnyConnect on an ISR2 router using CLI?

Thanks in advance

Alvaro

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Poonam Garg
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Alvaro,

Which version of IOS you are using?

Starting in Cisco IOS Release 15.0(1)M, the SSL VPN gateway is a seat-counted licensing feature on the Cisco 880, Cisco 890, Cisco 1900, Cisco 2900, and Cisco 3900 platforms. A seat refers to the maximum number of sessions allowed at a time.

For further reference go through:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/sec_conn_sslvpn/configuration/12-4t/sec-conn-sslvpn-12-4t-book/sec-conn-sslvpn-ssl-vpn.html#GUID-240C4A2D-3B09-438A-8DD5-ED1E95A00AC9

"Please rate helpful posts"

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Poonam Garg
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Alvaro,

Which version of IOS you are using?

Starting in Cisco IOS Release 15.0(1)M, the SSL VPN gateway is a seat-counted licensing feature on the Cisco 880, Cisco 890, Cisco 1900, Cisco 2900, and Cisco 3900 platforms. A seat refers to the maximum number of sessions allowed at a time.

For further reference go through:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/sec_conn_sslvpn/configuration/12-4t/sec-conn-sslvpn-12-4t-book/sec-conn-sslvpn-ssl-vpn.html#GUID-240C4A2D-3B09-438A-8DD5-ED1E95A00AC9

"Please rate helpful posts"

Hi Poonam,

Thanks for taking the rime to reply my question. The version I'm running is this c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.151-4.M7.bin. And I've got this licences active

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Technology    Technology-package           Technology-package
              Current       Type           Next reboot
------------------------------------------------------------------
ipbase        ipbasek9      Permanent      ipbasek9
security      securityk9    Permanent      securityk9
uc            uck9          Permanent      uck9
data          None          None           None

But as per your post, is not enough by having "securityk9" I will need "seat licences". Can I try first that feature by enabling trial mode of this feature:

StoreIndex: 4   Feature: SSL_VPN                           Version: 1.0
        License Type: EvalRightToUse
        License State: Not in Use, EULA not accepted
            Evaluation total period: 8  weeks 4  days
            Evaluation period left: 8  weeks 4  days
            Period used: 0  minute  0  second
        License Count: 0/0  (In-use/Violation)
        License Priority: None

Or is not simple possible and I have to buy those seat licences?

Cheers Alvaro

yes, you can enable the evaluation license to make sure it works as you need it.

But if you plan to do a little more with Remote-Access VPNs, also think about switching to an ASA. Not only it can be cheaper (if you need many simoultanious users), The ASA also has more features for remote-access-VPNs and the graphical user interface is far better then the CCP.