Views
Helpful
Replies

Future - WSA

jarandmoen
Level 1
Level 1

Gents.

We are currently evaluating a new proxy/filter solution and as we are very happy with the Ironport Email Security appliance we are considering the WSA S370. I have been told focus from Cisco now is shifting to their cloud based service (ScanSafe) and that one might expect the WSA appliance to EOL in the near future.

For us cloud based filtering is currently not an option, though there are many benefits.

Might I add that information about the ScanSafe solution is pretty (very) thin.

So what is happening ? Currently the link for the S370 404's from this landing page , are we to late ?

Finally, what about IPv6 ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Christian Rahl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

So WSA's as a whole will not not be moving to EOL in the near future. In fact our S x60's will not be EOL until 2017.

http://www.cisco.com/web/ironport/docs/End_of_Sale_x60_Appliances.html

WSA  as a product is no where near EOL. S370's have just started going on  sale and there is no discussion of EOL from a support stand point yet.  So x70 models will not be EOL until long after 2017.

The product is continuing to mature and was just  included into the study references for the next revision of the CCIE  security test.

The links for the S370 models looks like it is broken and I will have a few people look into that.

As for IPV6, it has not been finalized for any specific version yet.  So we are not expecting it anytime soon.

Christian Rahl

Customer Support Engineer                      

Cisco Web Content Security Appliance

Cisco Technical Assistance Center RTP

View solution in original post

Jarand,

My guess, is that if the physical hardware goes away, it will only be to go to a virtual appliance running on your VMWare stack.  There will always be a place for an on-premise solution.  Certain problems REQUIRE an on-premise solution, specifically data loss prevention (DLP)... you can't use cloud for that since by definition, hitting the cloud means that the data just left the building.

They have taken steps to bring WSA and ScanSafe into parity, so if you have a hybrid solution, your reporting all lines up properly.  They've also combined the "cloud client" with Anyconnect so that you only have to deploy 1 client (assuming you're using ASA for vpn).

Ken

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Christian Rahl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

So WSA's as a whole will not not be moving to EOL in the near future. In fact our S x60's will not be EOL until 2017.

http://www.cisco.com/web/ironport/docs/End_of_Sale_x60_Appliances.html

WSA  as a product is no where near EOL. S370's have just started going on  sale and there is no discussion of EOL from a support stand point yet.  So x70 models will not be EOL until long after 2017.

The product is continuing to mature and was just  included into the study references for the next revision of the CCIE  security test.

The links for the S370 models looks like it is broken and I will have a few people look into that.

As for IPV6, it has not been finalized for any specific version yet.  So we are not expecting it anytime soon.

Christian Rahl

Customer Support Engineer                      

Cisco Web Content Security Appliance

Cisco Technical Assistance Center RTP

Jarand,

My guess, is that if the physical hardware goes away, it will only be to go to a virtual appliance running on your VMWare stack.  There will always be a place for an on-premise solution.  Certain problems REQUIRE an on-premise solution, specifically data loss prevention (DLP)... you can't use cloud for that since by definition, hitting the cloud means that the data just left the building.

They have taken steps to bring WSA and ScanSafe into parity, so if you have a hybrid solution, your reporting all lines up properly.  They've also combined the "cloud client" with Anyconnect so that you only have to deploy 1 client (assuming you're using ASA for vpn).

Ken

jarandmoen
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the input guys.
You confirm what I was hoping and the appliance hardware itself is not important to us but the on-premise installation is.

The only show stopper then is the missing IPv6 support.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: