cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure Cisco Webex Connect IM Client with IronPort Transparent HTTP/HTTPS Proxy?

Chris Gillham
Level 1
Level 1

Some of our users use Cisco Webex Connect, which looks like AOL IM rebranded.  We can make it work for a short period of time by setting the Connection Settings as follows, but it will stop working and require us to resave the proxy settings to get it to work again.

Host: login.oscar.aol.com

Port: 80

[Checked] Connect using proxy

Host: proxyserver.company.com

Port: 80

Protocol: HTTP

Username:(Blank as we don't require proxy auth)

Password: (Blank as we don't require proxy auth)

If I try it via HTTPS, it fails completely as I suspect it is not compatible with the Ironport HTTPS Proxy mode.

Thanks,

Chris Gillham

2 Replies 2

Chris,

It fails via HTTPS because the WSA wants to decrypt it, and I don't think its encrypted, or if it is, its not using standard SSL or TLS the same way a web page does.

I'd double check that you don't have something in Security / Acceptable Use Controls blocking it.

You might try turning on the WebEx Application Scanning Bypass setting under Web Security manager/Bypass settings.

Finally, grep the access logs when this happens and see what its detecting that its blocking...

Ken

Thanks, Ken.  I do have the Webex Application Scanning Bypass setting enabled already.  I agree it is unable to work via HTTPS due to the proprietary protocol the client is using.  It does seem to work sometimes, but isn't reliable.  I will research the logs, as you suggested.

Thanks,

Chris

PS. Here is are the screenshots of the application.

Message was edited by: Chris Gillham

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: