Views
Helpful
Replies

IronPort Web Security impossible edit proxy.pac

jfafinski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm installing 2 ironPort Web Appliance Security S170.

I have edited my proxy.pac file and send it to both appliance. But now the PAC file is impossible to edit !

When you go:  Security Service --> Pac File Hosting --> Edit

The Appliance tells "APPLICATION ERROR. An application error has occured and been logged to the GUI logs"

I only have this error in gui_logs:

Wed Jul 10 08:48:27 2013 Critical: An application fault occurred: ('json/encoder.py _iterencode|294', "<type 'exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError'>", "'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 101-103: invalid data", '[util/Aquarium.py screenLoop|403] [util/InternalLibrary.py inverseExtend|328] [util/InternalLibrary.py __call__|746] [screen/Controller.py __call__|25] [util/InternalLibrary.py __call__|746] [screen/CommonController.py __call__|40] [util/InternalLibrary.py __call__|746] [screen/AppController.py __call__|182] [util/InternalLibrary.py __call__|748] [security_services/pac_file_hosting.py __call__|56] [screen/Controller.py executeAction|67] [security_services/pac_file_hosting.py doFormEditAction|115] [json/__init__.py dumps|230] [json/encoder.py encode|367] [json/encoder.py _iterencode|306] [json/encoder.py _iterencode_list|204] [json/encoder.py _iterencode|306] [json/encoder.py _iterencode_list|204] [json/encoder.py _iterencode|294]')

Yesteday I was in version 7.5.0, I've updated to last version 7.5.1-201 but stil same problem.

I have this problem on both appliance,

Thanks for help

Jeremy

6 Replies 6

hkvt012345
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeremy,

may i ask you how to create the PAC, i got two  site which have one ironport s170 at each site, i understanding PAC can provide reduency when one of each failed..but how exactly setup ?

do i need to change any IE setting as well on client site? currently IE setting was point to specific ironport hostname as proxy server column..

Thankss

Jeremy this was as good as a solution for us, we had the issue after upgrading from 7.1 to 7.5.1.

We had about ~10 PAC files hosted on the appliance. After importing the modified config file with the pac section from your post, I was able to re-add the 10 files we had before.

Thanks for sharing.

jfafinski
Level 1
Level 1

If ever someone got the same problem for the moment the only way we found to bypass this error,

Get the config file from appliance

Edit the config file, check for these values below to be exactly the same:

Management

Import this modified config file to the Appliance.

Go to:

Security Service --> Pac File Hosting

You will be able to import a new proxy.pac

Not a solution but helpfull...

Bye

I would recommend opening a support case with WSA TAC. Make sure to enable remote access as we will have to VI the pac file in order to find the high bit chrachter.

Sincerely,

Erik Kaiser
WSA CSE
WSA Cisco Forums Moderator

Sincerely, Erik Kaiser WSA CSE WSA Cisco Forums Moderator

jfafinski
Level 1
Level 1

The error was generated by caracter 'é'. Avoid accents and special caracter in pac commentaries.

But problem is that if you have already uploaded the proxy.pac you won't be able to correct it. The Web appliance will prompt you an error. The only way we found is to manually modify the configuration file like in my post above.

Jeremy

This is correct.  There is a defect in version 7.5.1 that causes this behavior.  High bit characters in PAC files that have been uploaded to the WSA will cause the application fault when trying to access it again.  I have not tried the workaround method that Jfafinski mentioned.

Alternatively, you can open up a ticket with TAC and the TAC engineer will be able to use the Remote Access of the appliance to retrieve and delete the PAC file on the appliance.

-Vance

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: