Views
Helpful
Replies

Ironport WSA blocking images on www.msn.com

Joe Silver
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Ever since msn changed the look of their website (www.msn.com) I can no longer view many of the images on that site.  Logs show that the images are blocked due to this message "BLOCK_UNSUPPORTED_SEARCH_APP_12"  Looks like the specific culprit is the "safe search" under the global policy - content filtering (see below).  Since msn uses bing as it's search engine the content should be allowed (has been before the site was upgrade).  As a work around I can permit access to the address http://img.s-msn.com/tenant/amp/entityid ; where the images are held but how do I fix this so the WSA will mark the new msn website as a safe search engine.

When Safe Search is enabled, non-safe content, including the cached non-safe content will be blocked from the search result from the following search engines: Dogpile, Yandex, Ask, Blekko, Google, Yahoo, Bing, WebCrawler, DuckDuckGo, Dailymotion and eBay. If safe search failed to be enforced on a supported search engine, it will be blocked.
Search engines that don't support safe search

All search engines other than those that are listed as supporting safe search will be blocked.

Thanks as always.

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There's a workaround in place now, and your boxes should get new rules and display MSN properly... 

There's some confusion about what part of that site is "search engine" vs. not a search engine...

The update from my ticket:

"Our categorisation team is confirming that msn.com is categorised as Search Engine and Portal and at this stage we are trying to get more information from them as to what reason that msn.com is categorise as Search Engine category and share that information with you once we received them.

Apart from the parent domain of msn.com, we have managed to request them to re-categorised the 'img.s-msn.com' links to be re-categorised as Photo search and Images category since those links are only for images display in msn.com site."

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

I'm in the beta for the next build and see the same behavior...

I'm going to open a ticket, I suggest you do so as well.

Ken

Ken,

It appears the re-categorization on Cisco's part has corrected the issue for us.  The images load up successfully on the WSA.

Joe

There's a workaround in place now, and your boxes should get new rules and display MSN properly... 

There's some confusion about what part of that site is "search engine" vs. not a search engine...

The update from my ticket:

"Our categorisation team is confirming that msn.com is categorised as Search Engine and Portal and at this stage we are trying to get more information from them as to what reason that msn.com is categorise as Search Engine category and share that information with you once we received them.

Apart from the parent domain of msn.com, we have managed to request them to re-categorised the 'img.s-msn.com' links to be re-categorised as Photo search and Images category since those links are only for images display in msn.com site."