Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade failure

r.harris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

I am deploying a new WSA, but seem unable to upgrade AsyncOS - when I check for available upgrades, I receive the following error:

ErrorFailure downloading upgrade list.

Everything else seems to be OK - I have time via the default NTP servers, checks for new feature keys return a success, policy trace returns what I would expect.

I have noticed that the feature keys the client purchased are listed as Active with 30 days remaining and an expiration date of Dormant.

Does the appliance license need to be activated? I can't seem to locate a Claim Certificate to find the PAK...

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

They don't do PAKs on the Ironport boxes. The keys are typically downloaded, but you'll often get them via email too.

Start banging on the reseller and local Cisco rep.

Have been hounding the distributor, but they just keep regurgitating the Smartnet contract details.

A check for new feature keys results in no new keys available.

According to the license activation document at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/services/ps10436/ps11169/ironport-sw-license-activation-key-process.pdf

"Perpetual licenses purchased with the initial appliance purchase are shipped preactivated "

The client has purchased 12 months license in this instance, so I assume the above does not apply (as it is not perpetual)?

We (the reseller) have not received any email from the distributor with an activation key nor PAK.

Can someone confirm whether this device is properly licensed? "Dormant" in expiration date field suggests not...

kussriva
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please refer to

https://ironport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1138 and make sure the issue is not related to the issues in the doc.

For further assistance on pre-production issues, you can open a case at http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/pdihd.html

Regards,

Kush

Cisco PDI Help Desk

http://www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

Thanks Kush.

It does not appear to be DNS related. Authentication failure with manifest server:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

proxy.local> nslookup downloads.ironport.com

A=61.9.193.214 TTL=30m
A=61.9.193.134 TTL=30m
proxy.local> upgrade

Important: After upgrading, you cannot revert to a previous
version of the Web Security appliance. Cisco IronPort strongly
recommends you review the release notes to identify changes to
the Web Security appliance in the latest version. Do you want
to continue with the upgrade? [Y]>

Failure downloading upgrade list: Failed to authenticate with manifest server

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a single-leg deployment (intending to use WCCP on ASA) and have only the M1 interface connected. I note the not-particularly-helpful statement in the KB article "the P1 interface may be the correct interface to use for upgrades" and will switch over to P1 next time I am onsite.

I would be appreciative if you could answer the above question relating to the licensing status of the appliance - "Dormant" cannot be right.

Thanks again.

Hi,

The status Dormant means that the feature is currently not being used by the Device e.g as the HTTPS Proxy status shows Dormant this generally means that the device is currently not using this feature.

Regarding the Upgrade issue, I would request you to make sure the following ports are not being blocked by the firewall:

Firewall Ports:

Port         Protocol        In/Out  Hostname use       Description

===============================================
20/21      TCP              In or out   AsyncOS IPs     FTP server FTP for aggregation of
log files.
22           TCP              In            AsyncOS IPs     SSH access to the CLI,
aggregation of log files.
22           TCP              Out          SCP server        SCP push to log server.
23           Telnet           In            AsyncOS IPs     Telnet access to the CLI.
23           Telnet           Out          Telnet server    Telnet upgrades.
25           TCP              Out          Any SMTP to send email.

25           TCP              In            AsyncOS IPs       SMTP to receive bounced
email or if injecting email from outside firewall.

80           TCP              In or out  AsyncOS IPs,downloads.ironport.com   HTTP access
to the GUI for system monitoring. AsyncOS and Sophos upgrades are retrieved via HTTP from
port 80.

82           HTTP            In             AsyncOS IPs        Used for viewing the
IronPort Spam Quarantine.
83           HTTPS          In             AsyncOS IPs       Used for viewing the IronPort
Spam Quarantine.
53           UDP/TCP       Out           DNS servers        DNS if configured to use
Internet root servers or other DNS servers outside the firewall. Also for SenderBase

110         TCP              Out            POP server        POP authentication for end
users for IronPort Spam Quarantine.
123         UDP              Out            NTP server        NTP if time servers are
outside firewall.
143         TCP              Out            IMAP server       IMAP authentication for end
users for IronPort Spam Quarantine.
161         UDP              In              AsyncOS IPs      SNMP queries.
162         UDP              Out            Management station  SNMP traps.

389 or 3268       LDAP   Out            LDAP servers      LDAP if LDAP directory servers
are outside firewall. LDAP authentication for IronPort Spam Quarantine.
636 or 3269       LDAPS  Out           LDAPS               LDAPS ActiveDirectory's global
catalog server.
443         TCP               In             AsyncOS IPs       Secure HTTP (https) access
to the GUI for system monitoring.
443         TCP               Out           update manifests, ironport.com  -Verify the
latest files for the update server.
443         TCP               Out           phonehome.senderbase.org - Receive/send Virus
Outbreak Filters.
514         UDP/TCP        Out           Syslog server       Syslog logging.
2222       CCS               In/Out       AsyncOS IPs        Cluster Communication Service
(for centralized management).
6025       TCP               In/Out       AsyncOS IPs        Send IronPort Spam Quarantine
data to the Security Management appliance if the external IronPort Spam Quarantine is
enabled.

If it still fails, please try to use the recommended P1 interface and then try to do the upgrade.

Regards,

Kush

Ah - OK, thanks.

Yeah I saw the firewall requirements - right now I have a static NAT and a PERMIT IP ANY ANY for this host.

I'll try the P1 port.