cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to prevent unwanted zooming and panning on whiteboard

SeisProf
Level 1
Level 1

I try to use the Whiteboard on Webex meetings to write down equations on a Samsung tablet with S-Pen etc during online lecturing.

But very frequently the image spontaneously zooms in because a part of my hand has lightly touched the screen (or even come close to it). When zoomed in to the max it spontaneously jumps to a different part of whiteboard. 

As this often happens mid-word, not only am I in the wrong place but often my stroke is continued in entirely the wrong place.

Unfortunately, this makes WebEx effectively unusable for lecturing in this way.

As I have a relatively large tablet I don't actually need the zoom-in functionality.  Is there a way to turn this off completely, i.e. such that the full size view is locked on the presenter screen.

1 Accepted Solution

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @SeisProf ,

If you are presenting professionally, use a professional whiteboard tool designed for tables - not the one that simply simulates a physical electronic whiteboard that comes with Webex, or (shudder) the "I'm stuck in 2007" excuse for a whiteboard that comes with Webex Meetings.

You have tablet. I'm sure there are professional Whiteboard apps for the Samsung.  I use an iPad Pro, and would recommend one of these (both available for iPad and Android)

1. Microsoft Whiteboard: I believe its free with MS Office, easy to use but some annoying limitations
  2. Concepts: Basic version free - very steep learning curve but very powerful. This is the one I use mostly.

Another thing to consider (if you do this professionally like I do) is to actually set up a computer screen and share that screen. You then use Reflector to mirror your Samsung tablet to your shared computer screen that the students see. You share the screen at the beginning of the session and NEVER stop sharing, thus avoiding the ridiculous re-arranging of every window in Webex that happens whenever there a screen-sharing change. (You might consider voting for this idea too which addresses this annoyance)

I've been forced to use Webex a lot in these Pandemic years. Webex is NOT an application you learn to use, but one you learn to cope with, and make it work for you.  I wrote a Preparation List for using WebEx Training on my blog once, but you'll have to search for that yourself - and I don't use Webex Training anymore since there are more and better features in Webex Meetings.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @SeisProf ,

If you are presenting professionally, use a professional whiteboard tool designed for tables - not the one that simply simulates a physical electronic whiteboard that comes with Webex, or (shudder) the "I'm stuck in 2007" excuse for a whiteboard that comes with Webex Meetings.

You have tablet. I'm sure there are professional Whiteboard apps for the Samsung.  I use an iPad Pro, and would recommend one of these (both available for iPad and Android)

1. Microsoft Whiteboard: I believe its free with MS Office, easy to use but some annoying limitations
  2. Concepts: Basic version free - very steep learning curve but very powerful. This is the one I use mostly.

Another thing to consider (if you do this professionally like I do) is to actually set up a computer screen and share that screen. You then use Reflector to mirror your Samsung tablet to your shared computer screen that the students see. You share the screen at the beginning of the session and NEVER stop sharing, thus avoiding the ridiculous re-arranging of every window in Webex that happens whenever there a screen-sharing change. (You might consider voting for this idea too which addresses this annoyance)

I've been forced to use Webex a lot in these Pandemic years. Webex is NOT an application you learn to use, but one you learn to cope with, and make it work for you.  I wrote a Preparation List for using WebEx Training on my blog once, but you'll have to search for that yourself - and I don't use Webex Training anymore since there are more and better features in Webex Meetings.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.