cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Solved: Webex Client for Linux stopped working after version upgrade.

lmoeller
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'am experiencing a version upgrade error I am unable to recover from on my Ubuntu 20.04 system. End of last week I remember I had chosen to upgrade my version of the webex client via the dialogue in the UI. However it was Fr. evening and I don't remember if it came up afterwards.

Whatsoever, from this morning on I am unable to start the client at all. Tried it via Gnome shell starter and via command line ('''/opt/Webex/bin/CiscoCollabHost %U''') to no avail. No feedback, no error messages, nada.

Downloaded the new version client software from the [official website](https://help.webex.com/en-us/article/9vstcdb/Webex-App-for-Linux#Cisco_Reference.dita_08bdf005-c308-4bc3-9f4a-7feb8f5b96f4), purged the previously working version, installed from scratch following the [guide](https://help.webex.com/en-us/article/9vstcdb/Webex-App-for-Linux#Cisco_Reference.dita_86ea12dd-8b6c-4c57-bcdf-63878239b931)  - same result. Except some log files being generated (see attachment) perhaps.

I am at a loss here - Webex is the communication platform of choice for my organization and I am locked out.

Please help, and let me know If I  may provide something that helps debugging this issue.

Thanks and best regards
L.M.

PS: Webex related dirs in ~/.local/share contained the attached files. No clues given what is causing the fails afaics.

1 Accepted Solution

lmoeller
Level 1
Level 1

Sometimes I hate these machines. Did a "apt autoremove" to get rid of some obsolete packages  and a (i.e. another) restart afterwards, and the problem was gone. Magic!

Sorry for the fuzz!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

alex2015
Level 1
Level 1
/opt/Webex/bin/CiscoCollabHost %U

produced no output for me ; no errors but Webex did not launch. Then I went to "~/.local/share and made a backup of "Webex" and "WebexLauncher" folders (renamed them *.bak and thanks @lmoeller for pointing those dirs). Then I managed to successfully launch Webex again. Note that doing that will probably reset any customization. For me that is ok because I had few AFAIR.

lmoeller
Level 1
Level 1

Sometimes I hate these machines. Did a "apt autoremove" to get rid of some obsolete packages  and a (i.e. another) restart afterwards, and the problem was gone. Magic!

Sorry for the fuzz!

lmoeller
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know how to downgrade, perhaps? The download page does only provide the latest version. Anyone still has previous versions somewhere on your system? E.g. 4.6 or 4.7?

lmoeller
Level 1
Level 1

Update:
When I start the Webex client in another tty, e.g by issueing `bash -c "/opt/Webex/bin/CiscoCollabHost %U"` at least I get some sort of application response: "Wx: X error received: type 0, serial 9, error_code 3, request_code 12, minor_code 0
Wx: X error received: type 0, serial 10, error_code 3, request_code 8, minor_code 0"
But that may be related to the fact that this terminal might not have access to the xserver.
I'm grasping at straws here!

Any (more) official place to report issues out there?

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.