cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ghost Webex Audio Driver on my Mac!

Sunshifter
Level 1
Level 1

Where can I find this driver so I can delete it? Somehow (but in the last couple of months) this Audio Device was installed on my MacBook Pro 16 running Catalina 10.15.4. I have spent the entire day trying to remove it as part of troubleshooting another an audio problem. Not only can I not remove it, I can't even find it to remove it. Have also included a screen shot below to show how it appears in System Report and in the Apple MIDI Setup app. The Webex uninstallers don't remove it, i have tried third-party installers like CleanMyMac, and I have googled for tips and and hunted and removed every file in every Library with "Cisco" and "WebEx" on it, and a total super-scrub uninstall and reinstall didn't fix the problem either. Hoping someone can tell me I am missing something simple. Thanks!

WebexMediaAudioDevice:

Input Channels: 2

Manufacturer: kDeviceManufacturerName

Output Channels: 2

Current SampleRate: 48000

Transport: Virtual

Input Source: Default

Output Source: Default

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.15.48 PM.png

7 Replies 7

R3nee W3ndy
Level 1
Level 1

Gosh, I finally found it, one MUST use a Finder window -- working on the command line (Terminal program) got me nowhere. Using a Finder window, drill down as advised by  jason.j.sheehan

1. In finder go to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL and delete the "CiscoAudioDevice.driver" folder and all of it's contents.

will test this with my doctor's video software in the future - good luck Sunshifter -- Renee

jason.j.sheehan
Level 1
Level 1

Here is what I did to solve this.

1. Uninstalled WebEx Productivity Tools and Cisco WebEx Meetings.
    1. Not sure this is necessary. I did it anyway
  2. In finder go to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL and delete the "CiscoAudioDevice.driver" folder and all of it's contents.
  3. Shutdown (not reboot)
  4. Startup
  5. Confirmed webexmediaaudiodevice was no longer listed in the Audio MIDI Setup app.
  6. Reinstalled Cisco WebEx Meetings
  7. Reinstalled WebEx Productivity Tools
  8. Re-confirmed that webexmediaaudiodevice was no longer listed in the Audio MIDI Setup app.
  9. Shutdown
  10. Startup
  11. Again, re-confirmed that webexmediaaudiodevice was no longer listed in the Audio MIDI Setup app.

My ask if anyone from Cisco sees this is to toggle this driver on when needed (optimize for motion and video) and off/disabled when not needed. Otherwise, allow the driver to be manually turned on and off or something.

Avinash Gaur
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @Sunshifter,

Thanks for posting in communities!

WebexMediaAudioDevice driver is installed as per the following document:

https://help.webex.com/en-us/517f0j/Share-Motion-and-Video-Content-in-Cisco-Webex-Meetings

If the user optimizes the content share option, for the first instance, WebEx will request the installation of the drivers.

WebexMediaAudioDevice option is a driver that is used by WebEx Meetings App to perform high Frame Per Second (FPS) content sharing.

I understand that you are trying to remove the audio driver. Could you please explain the issue that you are facing and why do you want to remove the driver?

Please rate the helpful posts!

Thanks,

Avi

Response Signature

I am also having this problem.  I uninstalled Webex 3 months ago.  But today I cannot talk with my doctor -- cannot use Kaiser Permanente Medical Center's Online Video Doctor Conferencing, because Webex is comandeering the speaker system resource.  WebexMediaAudioDevice is visible in the Audio Devices preferences panel, and in the Settings section of Kaiser Doctor Video browser app.  I cannot remove it in the Audio Devices preferences panel, and the word Webex is not found anywhere when I search the computer files. 

I am very angry that your software, uninstalled, refusses to release a system resource and is interfering with my DOCTOR APPOINTMENTS.  Kindly help. 

MACOS BIG SUR V. 11.2.3

MACBOOK AIR (Retina 13" 2018)

Hello, I second this. I need to get rid of this driver.

A client of mine installed Webex, and Lord know what he did exactly... but now this driver is messing up Zoom meetings. It keeps on switching back and forth.

Please, how can we get rid of this? Thanks

Hi @Sunshifter,
Thanks for posting your question in the community! :)
Can you please open a TAC case and share any updates on the issue in this thread? It seems more that there are others who are seeing the same issue. Thanks for being a part of the community!

Response Signature

@Sunshifter were you able to get this issue resolved?

I am also experiencing the same thing, opened a TAC case, but haven't been able to get a fix yet. 

WebexMediaAudioDevice (Virtual) shows up in audio apps but not in my MacBook Pro OS which is Catalina 10.15.6.

Any intel would be greatly appreciated!