Views
Helpful
Replies

Hotkey to bring Webex to the front

uu77xn
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Webex community,

in our company we use Citrix fullscreen on a Windows client. The Webex software is installed on the same Windows client but is not accesible through the Citrix enviroment because audio doesn't work properly in Citrix. 

For some reason we can't find the hotkey to bring Webex to the front of the screen. This means that we can't work in our Citrix session while adopting Cisco Webex as our softphone application on the windows client. This is very difficult to work with for our employees that need to have continuous customer contact while working full screen in Citrix. 

What is the hotkey to bring Webex to the forefront of the screen? 

7 Replies 7

Maksym Kozub
Spotlight
Spotlight

Sorry, I did not use Citrix, so my suggestion may sound (and be) stupid, but does Alt+Tab not work to switch between applications on that Windows client?

No unfortunately that does not work. When you use Citrix full screen it acts as a completely independent client. Meaning that you will just alt tab between the windows that are open within the Citrix session itself.

I do not know whether your employees need to be able to switch between windows within the Citrix session. _If_ they do not need it, then it is possible to prevent Citrix from "stealing" Alt-Tab combination. Sorry if I am saying what you already knew long before, but just in case, this is what I have found: there is a Windows registry key, ...\Citrix\ICA Client\Engine\Lockdown Profiles\All Regions\Lockdown\Virtual Channels\Keyboard, which can be set to either Remote or Local. Remote will result in the behavior that you describe; Local will result in Alt-Tab switching between windows/applications on the client machine.

I highly appreciate the suggestion and idea! Personally I was not aware of this being an option but unfortunately that would be even more detrimental to the work productivity because there are quite a lot of business applications to switch between and alt tab is a very useful hotkey in the day to day of the employees. Taking away the ability to switch windows to create a bandaid solution for the lack of a hotkey in Webex is not an option either I'm afraid. 

Got it. I suspected that you may need that switching within Citrix, that is why I started with "_If_..." :).

I have to apologize for failing to indicate the value under the key path I mentioned in my previous message. If you ever need it in the future, then under that ...\Keyboard, there should be a REG_SZ type value named TransparentKeyPassthrough, and _that one_ is to be set to either Local or Remote depending on the desired behaviour.

uu77xn
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion JOSEPHMOELLER but the problem is that this would add a lot of manual minimizing and maximizing of the Citrix session.

To sketch the image for you: Webex runs outside of Citrix and Citrix is the main work environment of our employees. Meaning that they have Citrix spread out over multiple monitors so they can perform their daily tasks and do their work. For people in a callcenter, that means that they have to minimize their Citrix session before they're able to contact customers. For people that just need to place a call every now and then this is not that much of a hassle but for the people who constantly have to call customers, this is a inefficient process as they would have to minimize their Citrix session, open Webex, fill in the number and start dialing, then they have to spread out their Citrix session again over their 2 monitors in order to properly assist the customer + process the data during the phone call. With all of our previous softphone applications, we would just hit a global hotkey to bring the softphone application to the forefront. Meaning you can stay active in the dual monitor Citrix session and quickly paste a number to start calling without losing any extra unnecessary time. So what we need for our environment is a quick global hotkey to bring Webex to the forefront (overlaying the Citrix session that's spread out over multiple monitors) in order to efficiently use it as a softphone application. 

I hope I explained myself a bit better Again thank you for your suggestion but unfortunately minimizing the Citrix work session in order to place an outbound call is not an option in terms of efficiency.

JOSEPHMOELLER
Level 1
Level 1

Just a question as I've never used Webex over Citrix but I am familiar with Citrix.   Can you not just use the standard hotkey mapping? 

For instance if webex is the session you have open and want it to the front you click Shift + F2.   If you want that minimized you click Shift + F11 and if you want to restore the full session again click **bleep** + F12.   Maybe I'm not fully understanding your question but thought I'd suggest using hotkeys.