cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to change my participant name in external meetings

Adee Ran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In meetings with external participants, it is often requested/required to indicate the company name as part of the user name. I don't know how this can be done when using the Webex app. When I join a meeting my profile name is automatically shown, without an option to change it.

My solution so far is to use the web app for such meetings, and log in as a guest. This lets me enter my name and I append [Cisco]. Even in that case, I have to do it prior to joining the meeting - once I'm in, the name cannot be changed.

It would be good if the display name could be edited during the meeting (it is possible in Zoom, for example).

(Before I joined Cisco I had the "webex client" installed and always had to join as a guest - so it wasn't a problem. It seems to be only relevant for users in Cisco or other companies that use Webex internally).

3 Replies 3

thoward
Level 1
Level 1

Question similar to Adee's but i'm a non-Cisco Webex user. I understand that the host (or participants) can't edit display names in meeting (which as was pointed out, Zoom allows -- something you guys should seriously think about changing). But I would still like to know what to tell participants ahead of time. I run a monthly meeting using Webex and I would like to tell participants ahead of time what they need to do and how so that their company names show up next to their names. (Or if it's something I can do ahead of time?) Thanks.

Cole Callahan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @Adee Ran ,

If you are logged in to the desktop app, the name from your account will automatically populate and cannot be changed during the meeting. As mentioned by joining from the web browser, you can also log out of your desktop app and join from the app and set your company name right before you join. But at the moment, you cannot change your name in the meeting if you are already logged into the app with your account.

Response Signature

Cole, thanks for confirming that this cannot be done in the desktop app. I suspect that there are reasons for that, but there is a considerable need from users (the meetings I'm in often have >50 participants and can go above 100). I can imagine information other than company that people may want to identify themselves with, in addition to user name. A service like Webex should enable such identity information.

A feature which can address this need would be a new text field where users can update during the meeting. It should be visible to other users and go into the meeting report.