cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hyperlinks in Messages

spassu
Level 1
Level 1

What is the trick for adding hyperlinks to messages?  Some links work (like www.google.com), but others don't.  I click on the LINK icon (as well ask Control-K) and add the hyperlink there as well, and the person receiving it doesn't get the active hyperlink to click on (they get the wording only)

2 Accepted Solutions

I just did a few random URL tests and they all linked properly when just typing. Even when using "unusual" TLD's like .coffee

If I use a non-existent TLD (example.this) The link generated automatically assumes/inserts https for me, so I don't think it's anything to do with whether it's secure or not.

However, what you describe in your original post I'm sort of seeing. Pressing Ctrl-K gives me the insert link dialog as expected, but if I use the link icon in the text formatting menu I get nothing. No matter how I click (text highlighted or not) nothing happens. A few other users here are seeing the same. We're running 41.7. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

View solution in original post

If it's an internal link I'm betting that's why. Like I mentioned above, a non-existent or unofficial TLD will not auto-trigger linkifying the URL. What is the TLD of your internal domain? If it's not on this list it probably won't work the way you want it to because WebEx doesn't identify it as a link and instead just treats it as if you typed a period to end a sentence and forgot to put a space to start a new one.

Capture.PNG

Thanks for confirming the link button in the GUI doesn't work for you either. I guess now I need to figure out how to submit a bug report.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @spassu ,

Please contact TAC and report this annoying bug. I see there is already a different bug open for pasting links (login required)

I have the same problem when pasting internal links too - we use a custom TLD to make our internal links look different - and even when using Cmd+K to create the link - you can see the link gets created for a second, then removed!

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

dtibbe
VIP
VIP

If you add the protocol (i.e. https:// or so) it works fine for me.
I normally use markdown, i.e. using [caption](url), that's working either

Thanks for your reply but it doesn't work for all links....I'm wondering if it's because some sites are "Not Secure".  We typically are sending over links to our internal TFS page and although the text comes through, the link doesn't.

I just did a few random URL tests and they all linked properly when just typing. Even when using "unusual" TLD's like .coffee

If I use a non-existent TLD (example.this) The link generated automatically assumes/inserts https for me, so I don't think it's anything to do with whether it's secure or not.

However, what you describe in your original post I'm sort of seeing. Pressing Ctrl-K gives me the insert link dialog as expected, but if I use the link icon in the text formatting menu I get nothing. No matter how I click (text highlighted or not) nothing happens. A few other users here are seeing the same. We're running 41.7. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Clicking that link doesn't do anything for me either...but just pasting a normal link works (without pressing Control-K or that link)

I just can't get our internal link to work...it's an internal server (pointing to our Microsoft TFS server).  We typically are sending hyperlinks for User Stories and Tasks through SKYPE (that we will discontinue when we officially move to Web-ex Messenger.

hyperlink.JPG

If it's an internal link I'm betting that's why. Like I mentioned above, a non-existent or unofficial TLD will not auto-trigger linkifying the URL. What is the TLD of your internal domain? If it's not on this list it probably won't work the way you want it to because WebEx doesn't identify it as a link and instead just treats it as if you typed a period to end a sentence and forgot to put a space to start a new one.

Capture.PNG

Thanks for confirming the link button in the GUI doesn't work for you either. I guess now I need to figure out how to submit a bug report.

Check https://help.webex.com/contact/ for getting support. TAC is your friend..