Views
Helpful
Replies

Initiate call in webex from external application

Henk de Bakker
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to start a call in the Webex app from an inhouse developed application. Does Webex app offer an Application Interface for controlling the functionality that Webex app has to offer from another application?

I've read the documentation for most part and have done some tests. Seems the documentation doesn't contain anything about controlling the Webex app. Right now I did make it work by initiating a tel hyperlink from the application which opens webex and starts a call.

As mentioned before I wonder if the Webex app can be controlled by an external application. Webex can also be used as a default application on Windows for tel links, but when a call is initiated it automatically starts a video call instead of an audio call. In nearly every case the call is to a phone number and a video call isn't necessary or beneficial.

With kind regards,

Henk

4 Replies 4

dtibbe
VIP
VIP

You may have a look at the Webex protocol handlers https://help.webex.com/n5yzg8y/

The Webex app also is capable of registering for the tel protocol handler for Webex Calling calls.

https://developer.webex.com/docs/api/v1/call-controls/dial may also initiate calls via a call-back

Thank you dtibbe,

Currently we have a implementation for initiating the tel protocol and handle it using Webex. It does however start a video call instead of an audio call. When working in a call centre environment this isn't ideal. If it is possible to handle the tel protocol with audio only the problem would be solved in the most ideal way where all involved parties are satisfied.

I'll look into the dail api a bit better than I did.

You can configure the Webex app to answer calls without camera

Only seems to work for answering calls not for outgoing calls. is there a (hidden) setting for outgoing calls or is webex missing the implementation for outgoing calls?