cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

M-Audio mixer with 2 analog microphones, but Webex only sees/hears one mic...

TheRobert
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having an issue getting Webex to recognize input from 2 analog microphones connected through an M-Audio interface. I believe the issue is a software limitation of Webex and just need some clarification and/or reassurance that this is indeed something that Webex does not (or does) support...

The interface I'm using is an M-Audio Air 192|14. However, I've tried using a different make/model and experienced exactly the same issue...

https://www.m-audio.com/air-192-14 

The mixer has 4 XLR inputs on the back. There are other audio inputs but I only care about 2 of the 4 XLR inputs.

On inputs 1 and 2 I've connected two Shure SM58 cardioid microphones using XLR cables.

When I view my recording tab in the sound properties of Windows device manager I see 3 M-Audio sources (there are actually more sources usable by the M-Audio driver but I've disabled the sources for inputs 5 through 8 as those are of no interest to my project).

sound-recording.png

The sources are self-explanatory. The first source gives me only inputs 1 and 2, the second gives me 3 and 4, while the "Multichannel" source gives me up to 8 channels of audio (from the 8 inputs on the mixer) via one Windows source.

I am currently using the "Line 1/2" source in Webex. Ignore the part of the screenshot above showing "Multichannel" as my default device, I was attempting to use that source for troubleshooting purposes. However, most of my attempts to get this working have been using "Line 1/2". I've also tried plugging the mics into inputs 3 and 4, then using the "Line 3/4" source but the issue persists...

note: both microphones are heard in Windows at a system level. I can plug headphones in and tick the box for "Listen to this device" in device manager (for "Line 1/2") and I can hear both microphones fine. Also, both microphones play through both the left and right channels of the headphones.

Here's my issue:

The Webex desktop app hears one of the microphones in the Webex settings under "audio" and it hears the other microphone in actual meetings or events. However, neither microphone is heard in both the settings and also in meetings. As such, neither the settings nor any meeting or event is able to hear both microphones...

As I mentioned earlier, I tested the microphones using a different mixer (Steinberg UR22C) and got exactly the same behavior so I do not believe this is a 3rd party hardware compatibility issue. Can someone please shed some light on this?

For what it's worth, I looked to see if any of the sources gave an option of listening to the mixer as a mono signal and they do not. The "Line 1/2" and "Line 3/4" sources only give 2 channel options under "format" while the "Multichannel" source only gives options for 2 channels or 8 channels...

multi-channel-advanced.png

1 Reply 1

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@TheRobert 
Please allow me to offer some quick thoughts, since there are no other replies yet..

Maybe I am wrong, but I guess the brand of the microphones and the type of connector is less important than the information which (virtual?) windows-device is used to feed the audio-signal into a software (in this case: Webex..).

Did you check if "Stereo mix" may help?
As far as I have read, it´s purpose is to mix multiple audio-signals to one signal and provide the result as audio-source to other software.

Note: if one of your sources is music you may need to disable the advanced noise cancelling in Webex, perhaps even need to enable music-mode.