Views
Helpful
Replies

Microphone noise on Surface Pro 4

mtkono
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

On my Surface Pro 4 Windows 10 microphone works fine on Windows voice recorder or Zoom but not in WebEx meeting.

While in webex, only noise gets picked up. Voice is very faint as if very far away. 

All works fine on a USB headset.

Updated both the device and windows, so no issue there.

Marcin

6 Replies 6

mtkono
Level 1
Level 1

Both microphones are treated by Windows and WebEx as microphone set. Hence, you cannot chose between front and back mike.

@Fritz_H , what is a TAC-Case? How do I raise it?

Thx

Marcin

@mtkono 
TAC = Technical Assistence Center
https://help.webex.com/contact

You may even use Webex-Teams as communication-option for the TAC-Team to contact you; pretty handy..

grafik.png

mtkono
Level 1
Level 1

Figured out that Surface Pro 4 has 2 microphones. One at the back and one at the front.

For some reason, WebEx only picks up the back microphone.

Again, this problem only manifests itself in WebEx, not in Zoom or Voice Recorder.

So, seems a WebEx issue.

@Cisco Support Team please assist.

Marcin 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VElbXzZCWjw
An older clip on selecting mic settings, but if Webex is not detecting the front mic... then Webex taking the mic selection from the OS system settings. If the OS can't share the Mic with the app, is another APP seizing the mic and not letting it go for it to be available to Webex? Please confirm at the OS level the mic is available and no other programme is seizing the mic. Also test with a headset if you have one just to confirm the settings do find other mic sources.

Response Signature

Thanks for the video.

Just to clarify... as explained earlier there is no differentiation between front and back microphone even at Windows level - they are one device (microphone set) with one driver.

Hence, also in WebEx you cannot select between front and back. This is not the question of detecting.. the mike set is detected correctly and sound is picked up.. just that it is only picked up from the back mike.

The shop that sold me the device explained to me that the back mike is automatically selected when back camera is in use while front mike when front camera... However, this doesn't seem to work in WebEx.. and regardless of camera it is only using the back mike.

Does Webex offer to switch microphones?

if it does not:
Since this is a user-forum you will need to open a TAC-Case.