cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommendation for a whiteboard drawing tablet for webex meeting

andcole
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is it possible to use a drawing tablet with webex whiteboard feature? 

I'm interested in reading of experience of use of a tablet and model recommendations.

1 Reply 1

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @andcole ,

Webex whiteboard is VERY basic

I've tried using my iPad Pro (latest model- top of the line) with Webex Meetings 2007 -style whiteboard.

And it SUCKS

Partly because the response can be slow, and you have to draw slowly to ensure that the whiteboard keeps up.

But mostly, because it is so limited as a whiteboard. You can't extend the whiteboard, you can only zoom in a little, but once you've zoomed in, you can't draw! You can't move objects, you can't...

I'm not going to waste time ranting about the limitations of the whiteboard, but at a pinch it is useable.

BTW - the whiteboard App that is used for Webex Meetings on the iPad is a totally DIFFERENT whiteboard to the one used on a desktop - it is basically the same whiteboard that is used in Webex (formally Webex Teams)

But there IS a work-around which works best if you happen to have a desktop AND an iPad (/Pro) - and I have a colleague who uses this method with an Android tablet.

What I do is this (BTW - I first described this method waaay back in 2014 - a search for rednectar+ipad+share+screen+webex should find it)

Enter Reflector

I use an application called Reflector on my iPad and PC (MBP). This allows me to "reflect" my iPad to one of my PC screens.  In a Webex meeting, I share the "reflected" screen with my audience.

I then use my iPad to do everything - present powerpoint (and scribble on slides) and, back to your point, to share a DECENT white board app - there are literally dozens of good iPad whiteboard apps, many free or close to it.  The one I use now is a bit complicated to use (called Concepts) but what I like most about it is that when I'm drawing on my iPad, I see all the tools and layers on my iPad, BUT the screen that is "reflected" to my PC (and therefore my audience) does NOT show those messy details.

Oh - and when I present using powerpoint, I see the Presenter view on my iPad, while the audience sees the full slide.

One more alternative

Of course you already know that once you have a tablet that supports Webex meetings, you can share that screen and use any drawing program that way - but the disadvantage of using this way as far as Concepts is concerned is that the audience sees the WHOLE screen, including the drawing tools etc.

I hope this helps.

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.