Views
Helpful
Replies

Settings for recording: just video of active speaker despite shared content

Martin Diruf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone.
I have a meeting with an external speaker who gives a talk. We will produce a videopodcast from this talk later on.

We will get the powerpoint slides later for post production, so I would like to only record the video of the active speaker (despite shared content) during the meeting. 

Is this possible? I'm missing this option ...in the setting.

Thank you very much & all the best,

Martin

6 Replies 6

kndskelton
Level 1
Level 1

What do you want the end product to be? Are you going to do a PIP and edit in the PowerPoint Slides using the meeting audio for VO? Just curious.

One idea is to just record the presenter without the slides or shared content then add them in afterwards. That way you get exactly what you wanted. Just a thought though.

Wade H.
Spotlight
Spotlight

I don't think this is possible with the Cisco Recording options. If you are sharing content, that will always be included in the recording. This is a bit of a fringe use-case. 

believe that the MP4 file does include multiple streams to separate the content and video. You can use tools like ffmpeg or other video software to extract the different video feeds (I know I've done this successfully in the past), however, I believe the video thumbnail stream will be very low resolution and will not look good when blown up. 

As others have suggested, you may need to look at using other recording software to capture what you need.

Thank you Fritz and Wade for your ideas! At least, I came up with a similar solution: We will use a "logitech C920 HD Pro" webcam with its software "logicapture". This software acts like a virtual camera that can be used as video source for the WebEx Meeting. Simultaniously it can record the audio and video of the connected webcam on the local harddrive. We will set up the WebEx recording to "Focused content" and combine both stream later in post.  

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@Martin Diruf 
You may want to check the options in your Webex-Account:
grafik.png

Dear Fritz,

there is exactly my Problem: I would need the "Focus"-Option (in the "no-shared-content"-section) - even when content is shared. In my case: An active speaker talks to a shared power point presentation, so I only have the options "record slides with a low resolution picture inserted in the right upper corner" or "just record the slides". What I'm missing is the option "just record the video stream of the active speakers webcam in full resolution".

Or - and that would be perfect - one mp4-file with two video streams: one with the shared content and one with the input from the webcam.

All the best,
Martin

@Martin Diruf 
I can not determine, if it is useful to record a speaker, without showing the content the person is talking about.
(I guess, to me the PPT+the spoken words (=audio) would be more interesting than a "talking face"...)

As a work-around you may use external Software like OBS to record your screen-content. (https://obsproject.com/)
(e.g. adjust your view that way the Speaker and the shared content are shown in separate windows, then make OBS record both.)

Since you mentioned "2 Video-Streams..." etc. I was reminded of this option (see below)
Sadly I have no idea, what this means... 
(Screenshot taken from Webex Control Hub - Site Administration)
grafik.png