Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex setup difficulty

richard10
Level 1
Level 1

Problem #1:

Here is what happens when I try to connect to someone else’s Webex presentation.  

The presenter emails an invitation.  The invitation provides a hyperlink to the meeting.

Before the meeting I click on the hyperlink.  My browser opens and takes me to a webpage that states:

Step 1 of 2: Download the Cisco Webex add-on

I click on the Download button.

The next webpage takes me to:

Step 2 of 2: Install the Cisco Webex add-on

The browser immediately downloads Cisco_WebEx_Add-On.dmg.  I open this folder and double-click on the “Install Cisco Webex Add-On.”  

I open and run the installer.  It present me with the Extensions window.  I do not know what to do with this Extensions window.

I return to Step 2 of 2 in the browser.  I click on the link for  Run a temporary application.  I get “Webex.pkg.”  I run “Install Webex.”  Finally after all that I get an open window in “Webex Events.”  In this window I see the visual portion of the presentation but hear nothing.   At the bottom of the window is button stating “Connect audio.”  I click this button and get directions on how to call in by telephone.  I would rather use the computer audio.

That’s all a lot of work to do something as simple as logging into a virtual conference.

Is there an easier way than going through all of that?

Problem #2:

I have on my computer an application named Webex, v. Version 42.2.0.21338.  I have not found any use for this application.

Note, this application is named Webex.  It is not Webex Meetings.   I have seen online references to the latter application.   I cannot find Webex Meetings for Mac.

I have my iPhone connected by USB to the Mac.   In the iPhone I have EpocCam open.   I see myself in the iPhone.

I have Webex on the Mac open right now.   In the upper right corner of the Webex window is a tool entitled “Connect to a device.”  I click that tool.  A window opens.  It asks from a room or device name.   This window does not recognize either “Mac” or “iPhone.”  

I opened Video preference for Webex.  In this Video preference of Webex I see myself through the iPhone just fine.   But I cannot get this video out into the Webex window.

How do I do so?

7 Replies 7

uaneja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi richard10, 

You would need the Cisco Webex Desktop App, you can download it from your company's webex site. 

Once you have the App, the URL will open this app each time you click on it and also make sure you are logged into the webex site. 

My business does not have a Webex site.   Everyone here uses his or her own Webex account.   Is there someplace else to find the Desktop App?

And what is the application that is named "Webex, v. 42.2.0.21338"?  As I say, it does not seem to do anything.  Should I keep this app?

The application named just Webex is the new application that combines functionality from Webex Meetings application and Jabber plus Cisco Proximity. You should only need to have that application installed. For scheduling meetings if you use Outlook you might also want to have the add on Webex Scheduler added into Outlook.

For the download, you can get the Webex application from this page.

Response Signature

I think that I can see how to use “Webex” to schedule meetings that I set up. But how do I use it to join meetings created by other people? I receive such invitations by email. I do something with that email. I do not remember what. I seem to recall that I click on the hyperlink in the email. My Mac opens Calendar and adds the appointment. When the day of the scheduled meeting arrives, I click on the link in Calendar. Safari opens to the Webex website. Then I have to go through the many complications of setting up my preferences all over again. That takes time, and often I miss part of the scheduled meeting.

If I want to use the Webex application, should I copy and paste the invitation from the email to the application? Doing so can be cumbersome, because the invitations are sent out weeks in advance, and then I have to figure out how to save the emails somewhere.

If you have the Webex app installed, it should be automatically launched the Meeting Window if you click the link in the invitation.

If you have your calendar connected to the app (for instance O365 hybrid calendar connection), then your meetings wil automatically appear for joining within the app (~5 before they start).

You can also type the meeting id in the global search bar in the top and select join meeting.

It should, but it doesn’t. As I said, when I click on the link in the emailed invitation, my Mac opens Calendar, not Webex. I need the invitation added to Calendar, and I welcome that addition of the meeting to my calendar. Calendar, then, has the link, too, but, again, when I click the link in Calendar, the Mac opens Safari not Webex.

I do have the Webex application installed, but nowhere in the whole process does anything open the Webex application. Is there some setting somewhere to automatically bring it into coordination with Safari and Calendar?

Well, I'm not familiar with Macs, so I cannot really tell you how it should be have there..

The link will open a web page but that one detects your Webex app installation and launches the meeting in there. That's the way it works on Windows..