cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8540 DHCP problems

Janne K.
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a strange problem with my AirOS 8540 WLC sometimes using the wrong DHCP proxy IP for one of my vlan interfaces.

I have a ISE enabled SSID where i have set a dummy interface in the WLAN tab.
Normaly this works flawless for all the networks.

But sometimes out of (to my knowledge) nowhere i am having trouble with one of the vlans.

clients can connect fine to the ssid, and in ISE i see the authentication go through as it should, but they cant get an IP adress somehow.

I then do a client connection test from the WLC and am seing that the wlc is using the wrong DHCP proxy ip.
Instead of using the one configured on the vlan interface i want to connect, it uses the one from the dummy interface.

I try to ping the vlan interface of the WLC and am getting no response. After a while, with getting nowhere, suddenly the interface is reachable again, and clients can get their IP adresses.

The even stranger thing is that this problem does not seem to affect windows laptops... why?? i dont know. all clients on that vlan are doing PEAP.

Other vlans on the same ssid work fine.

We have this problem every other month or so randomly happening, its never the same time or day of week, but it always lasts for around one hour.

Are there any logs in the WLC i can look at?
I tried looking through the "show logging" output, but cant see anything usefull at the time it suddenly starts to work again..

6 Replies 6

in WLC try use 

IP-MAC binding 

MHM

Im not sure i understand what you mean..

I should add to it that the vlan is pretty big with ~ 5000 simultaneous BYOD clients

sorry this option for WLC 9800 not for 8540 
with 8540 in monitoring client are the client associate and success auth 

MHM

Yes, the client associate and get authenticate correctly, and i can see in WLC that it is gettin the correct vlan information from ISE.
but instead of the configured vlan DHCP Proxy IP i get the one from the Dummy interface configured on the wlan interface.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You can start with a checkup of the 8540's controller configuration using : WirelessAnalyzer input (procedure) for AireOs controllers
   And feed the output from that into Wireless Config Analyzer

+ When clients don't get an ip address use client debugging according to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/213258-collect-debugs-from-wireless-lan-control.html
                   Client debugs can be high level analyzed with Wireless Debug Analyzer

+ As per https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-tac-recommended-aireos.html the 8540 should use 8.10.196.0 , this is important these days because the aireos controller are being
                 phased out in favor of the 9800 series , they should use the last release available because there is
                 no further bug fixing planned , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- As the issue seems intermittent you should also configure a syslog server on the 8540 and keep up on logs
     arriving on it

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card