cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many GLC-T I need for WLC5508

Frank_Cor
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have 4 GLC-T connecting to the WLC5508. However, I still feeling the wireless VLAN is a tab slow while we have all the users on. Do I need to add more GLC-T?

Currently environment: 

1000-1500 devices connecting to 55 AP. AP are 35 3505E, 10 2702I. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I really doubt that you need to add more. Have you checked how many clients are connecting on each AP or how many clients are connected via 2.4ghz vs 5ghz?  That is where you should start first to reduce sluggishness. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

5508 allows us to have eight SFP ports.  So we can have a maximum of eight 1Gbps uplinks in an etherchannel(Combined 8 gigabit if you wanted.)

SFP supported on 5508: GLC-T, GLC-SX-MM, GLC-LH-SM

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thanks for your quick response. Just don't know whether this will improve our Wi-Fi performance. Since 5508 hardware wise can support up to 500 AP, I thought we would never use 8 uplinks. Can you point me to the right direction how to check if the physical interface is the limit.

Thanks,

Frank

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Frank_Cor wrote:

Currently environment: 

1000-1500 devices connecting to 55 AP. AP are 35 3505E, 10 2702I. 

I have several 5508 and I've got MORE APs and users than this.  I've also gone through every firmware Cisco has published.  The only time I've seen sluggish performance (GUI & CLI) was using 7.X.X.X firmware.

Hi Leo,

How many SFP you have installed for those 5508? Have you used all 8 ports? 

We have used 4 SFP ports and all use etherchannel on a 2960s switch that already reserved 8 ports for this WLC.

Thanks,

Frank

I really doubt that you need to add more. Have you checked how many clients are connecting on each AP or how many clients are connected via 2.4ghz vs 5ghz?  That is where you should start first to reduce sluggishness. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Sorry for the late reply. I believe I have found the issue. There is something to do with the core switch. I have made some changes and inter VLAN speed improved.

I also cut down some 2.4GHz signal from some APs, I believe we have getting a bit less interference now. Thanks for the suggestion.

@Frank_Cor wrote:

How many SFP you have installed for those 5508? Have you used all 8 ports? 

I have two controllers with 4 GLC-T, two controllers with 2 GLC-T and four controllers with 8.

All ports are LAG.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card