cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iPad causing 2811 WLCM to reboot

jasonww04
Level 1
Level 1

Device in question is an 2811 router with an NMWLC6 WLAN controller module. All laptops are working fine connecting to the WLAN. However, it seems that the one iPad in the building causes the WLCM to reboot. So far it has happened two days in a row. We are going to test it again this afternoon but I'm wondering if anyone has heard of such an issue.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I recommend you upgrade to that 7.X.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  What firmware with the WLC running?

2.  Have you tried with open authentication, no encryption, no 802.1x?

I'm not using any authentication, just MAC filtering via RADIUS. I'll have to get back to you on the firmware of the WLCM.

Thats odd. Have you found anything else out more like this? I would check the WLC logs and debug the iPad from the WLC and see what its doing. I havent seen this before.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Neither have I, George.

little side comment...

A few weeks ago I plugged my new Mac Air (console) into a 4500 and brought it down. I did it 3 - 4 times, WTF. After I upgraded the console software on my Mac it was fine afterwards. Just glad I didnt plug into the core first !

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

ROFL!  +5

Firmware is old - 3.2.150.6. I'll try to upgrade it and see if that helps.

I recommend you upgrade to that 7.X.

The WAPs are 1010s so the highest I can go is 4.2.xxx. I'm trying to upgrade now but the controller is failing and giving useless reasons.

Useless reasons like "can't write to flash" or something?

It's because you need to run TFTPd32 as a TFTP client because some TFTP client can't support 16 mb files or larger.

It was because I tried going too quickly to 4.2.219. Apparently, you have to do baby steps and only go a few versions ahead at a time. Cisco really dropped the ball with these WLCMs.

After two mini-upgrades I finally got to the highest firmware below 5.0. Tomorrow we will try to get the iPad to not crash the controller.

The WLCM is now using 4.2.209 and the iPad is good so far.

Good to hear.

By the way, did you upgrade the bootstraps as well (files with the "ER" on them)?  I hope you did.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card