cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with PEAP auth and WinXP SP2 login.

andrew.brazier
Level 4
Level 4

Our problem is getting our XP SP2 clients to log in correctly via wireless, the wireless connection doesn't come up until after the user has logged in so no login scripts, no drives, etc.

Our setup is Win2003 domain using ACS 3.3.3 with a self generated cert. The cert and WLAN settings are deployed via GP's. AP1200's with recent IOS. Clients have a mix of Intel cards with latest drivers/firmwares. Any suggestions?

4 Replies 4

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

If you use windows native client, the problem is that the username/password is associated with an account on the host. The host pc as to log on windows to know witch username/password to use.

To get around that, you have to use a "start before login feature". It's in the intel proset client if you do a custom installation(it wont get install by default).

The other way around this is to use a generic 802.1x client like funk or meetinghouse. Those two support that feature for a wide array of card.

Thanks for the reply. We don't want to use the Intel client as it's not centrally configurable and using a third party 802.1x client is out due to corporate policy. I know what we have should work as I've used this setup elsewhere without problems.

zhenningx
Level 4
Level 4

From what I tried, after machine authentication succeed, wireless connection should come up and user can login and gets shared drives. I am testing on PEAP auth with XP SP2 client. Did you pass the machine authentication?

It doesn't look as if machine authentication is working, that seems to be our problem. After the user logs in authentication occurs but by then it's too late for login scripts, etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card