cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to convert a config entity to CLI command?

haoywang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi experts:

Is there a way to convert a config entity to CLI command?

I want to display the CLI command before I actually update the entity.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

abhirame
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Currently, I'm not aware of any automated way to do this. Can you give some background about what you're trying to achieve?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

abhirame
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Currently, I'm not aware of any automated way to do this. Can you give some background about what you're trying to achieve?

Hi

I'm trying to develop a function that user can input some parameters and the software can display the related config without actually send the configuration to a device.

Since the user cannot understand the configuration in XML format, they want the configuration to be displayed in IOS-XR CLI format.

I'm afraid we have no such tool today for this kind of requirement. Also, if the end user really wants to understand things in the CLI context, and will be looking at this before anything is sent to the device, it seems that just using CLI to talk to the device (e.g. using a Python library like Netmiko) may be more appropriate?

As we move forward, configuration applied via model-based interfaces will have less and less direct correlation with CLI. We can see this with, for example, openconfig or ietf models, which are mapped onto the current IOS-XR native YANG models.

Cheers,

Einar

Thanks for your answer, I will discuss with end user about this situation.