Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE + OKTA for 2FA/OTP

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello-

I have a customer that is interested in ISE that is currently using OKTA for their 2FA/OTP. They want to know if ISE and OKTA can integrate together to provide:

1. 2FA/OTP for RA-VPN users utilizing ASAs and AnyConnect
  2. 2FA/OTP for RADIUS/TACACS+ based device administration

From what I was able to find on OKTA's support pages and documentation this should not be an issue. It appears that OKTA will just be referenced as an external RADIUS server in ISE (Similarly to other OTP providers such as DUO, RSA, etc). However, I wanted to see if anyone can confirm this.

Thanks!

Neno

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paul
Level 10
Level 10

I have used OKTA on several installs without an issue mostly for VPN authentication.  As you said OKTA is just an external RADIUS server to ISE and it runs the whole authentication.  You probably want to crank up your RADIUS timeouts to something like 2-3 minutes because depending on the verification OKTA is doing (OKTA App, App Push, SMS Text, call) it can take a while for the person to type in their password.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE can integrate with any RADIUS token server compliant with RFC 2865. Our teams are not testing OKTA as an OTP so we do not have info which OKTA product(s) work.

paul
Level 10
Level 10

I have used OKTA on several installs without an issue mostly for VPN authentication.  As you said OKTA is just an external RADIUS server to ISE and it runs the whole authentication.  You probably want to crank up your RADIUS timeouts to something like 2-3 minutes because depending on the verification OKTA is doing (OKTA App, App Push, SMS Text, call) it can take a while for the person to type in their password.

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Paul, nice to "hear" from you! Thank you for the reply/confirmation Paul!

Best regards,

Neno

To be clear, in that scenario,  is the ASA the original RADIUS client and ISE just proxies the RADIUS message back and forth between the Okta agent and ASA?

Sorry to barge in to this thread, but it fits right in with the topic at hand...is it possible to use ISE for the Primary authc and authz, and add an OKTA RADIUS agent as a secondary RADIUS server just for the 2nd factor? (I.E. Okta Push)

Hi Team,

I have Cisco ISE 3.0 trying to integrate OKTA  for  2FA/OTP for RADIUS/TACACS+ based device administration

Authentication via OKTA Push + AD

Authorization Via AD 

Can you please help me with any reference configuration ??

Thank you so much, is it work well for Cisco CLI MFA authentications? like App Push / approve.? Thank you. ! 

Mustafa9046
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I have Cisco ISE 3.0 trying to integrate OKTA  for  2FA/OTP for RADIUS/TACACS+ based device administration

Authentication via OKTA Push + AD

Authorization Via AD 

Can you please help me with any reference configuration ??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: