cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outdated information on roles in the Power User learning plan

Maksym Kozub
Spotlight
Spotlight

When going through the fifth lesson of the Power User learning plan, I have noticed right now that the roles mentioned are Host, Cohost, Presenter, and Attendee. Now Webex Meetings may also have simultaneous interpretation enabled, and a participants can also be assigned to be an interpreter. I remember it very well, because I am a conference interpreter, and I have already got a trial Webex account with simultaneous interpretation feature enabled :). I think the time has come to update the video, adding the Interpreter role there.

@Cole Callahan: maybe you already know about it, but I thought I would create this reminder, just in case...

6 Replies 6

Cole Callahan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @Maksym Kozub ,

Sorry for the late response, I was out of the office the last two weeks and am catching up on community posts still. Thanks for posting that here in the community and making us aware of that. I have forwarded this to our Instructional Design team for review. I will be sure to update this post with their response as well.

Response Signature

mergan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@Maksym Kozub Nice thinking! According to this help article of Webex there is also another role named ''Note taker'' and interpreter is named as ''closed captionist'' I believe. Would be definitely helpful to see these roles there as well or a link to this article can be attached. Interesting. 

@mergan

You have rightly reminded us of other roles. That said, the interpreter is _not_ "closed captionist". The latter is about _captions/transcripts_, while the earlier is one who listens to a speech in some language and almost immediately (with, say, one second delay) translates orally into another language (no writing/typing/written translation involved). Interpreters have a special console to switch between language channels (a physical device when there is an offline event, or one on the screen in a Webex meeting).

@Maksym Kozub Thanks for informing me about that. You're totally right. In this case, there should be another role added to the article as well ''Interpreter'' and there are three roles in total to be added to the video. 

Hello @mergan and @Maksym Kozub  - thanks for this note!  We'll keep this feedback in mind during our update of the modules for the learning plans.  Maksym, I'm happy to hear that you're trying out the new simultaneous interpretation feature - and also happy that you're working through the Power User learning plan!  Thank you for being an advocate and for providing ideas to make the learning plans better for our users.  Very much appreciated!

-CW

Check out our learning offerings at https://golearn.webex.com!

@carowrig

Thank you and @Cole Callahan for your replies. The Power User plan already completed (see my badge); going to do the Associate Ambassador in the next couple of days :).

Actually, I have been a conference interpreter for the last 26 years, I have done interpretation for a number of Cisco's events, as well as translated some technical stuff for Cisco and Cisco's contractors (including Webex-related stuff). I have been using various remote event platforms in various situations. With all that in mind, I think it is just logical that we have been in touch with Cisco's local office for quite a while about all those features, and as soon as they appeared in Webex (after appearing in Legislate for Webex first), I have been offered a trial license. I am trying to be an efficient and effective "bridge" between Cisco (represented by its local office — great people, by the way!) and the professional interpreter community :).

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.