cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI best practice naming convention

gavin han
Level 1
Level 1

what's best naming convention for EPG, BD, AAEP etc?

what's best practice for AAEP and domain? should we have all interfaces in fabric tied to same AAEP?

3 Replies 3

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Gavin,

Here is an extract from https://rednectar.net/2017/05/19/cisco-aci-naming-standards/ that might help with the naming standards, but your second question "should we have all interfaces in fabric tied to same AAEP?" is one of those "it depends" type answers. Personally, I suggest one AAEP (or AEP) per tenant, and another for any interfaces that are to be shared bewteen tenants. Fewer AAEPs is simpler to troubleshoot, but you have to keep in mind that only one AAEP can carry the Infrasructure VLAN (per switch I think) and that AAEP can't have any routed interfaces in it if used in L3 Outs!

Consistent and structured naming of objects in Cisco’s ACI environment can help you greatly when learning how the different objects relate to each other.  This article explains the logic I use to name objects in Cisco ACI. In summary, these are:

Rule#1: Suffixes

If the object will ever be referred to by another object, make sure you name the object with a hyphen followed by a suffix that describes the item. For example:
Leaf101-IntProf describes the Interface Profile for Leaf switch 101,
WebServers-EPG describes an End Point Group.

Of course the problem when you first start out is that you don’t know what objects are going to be referred to in another drop-down list somewhere. That’s why you will want to use this guide.

Rule#2: Prefixes

If the object is a infrastructure object intended for use by a single tenant, prefix the object with a reference to that Tenant followed by a colon. For example, TenantX:StaticVLANs-VLAN.Pool describes a VLAN Pool intended for use by Tenant TenantX and Common:Telstra-ExtL3Dom describes an External Layer 3 Domain used by the commontenant. In a similar vein, infrastructure objects shared by multiple tenants should be prefixed with Shared:, such as Shared:WAN.Links-AEP which describes an Attachable Access Entity Profile (AEP) that multiple Tenants may share.

Rule#2 corollary:  Global infrastructure objects

If the object can be used by all tenants, omit the prefix.  Disable-CDP is the only CDP Interface Policy you’ll ever need to disable CDP – no need to create multiple duplicates.  Similarly, you’ll only ever need one Leaf Switch Profile for leaf 101, so call it Leaf101-LeafProf, but if you think it helps, Global:L101-LeafProf or Shared:L101-LeafProf would be acceptable.

Rule#3: Punctuation

I use TitleText style to concatenate words in names, but if an acronym is involved, I use a period as a  separator to make VLAN.Pool more readable than VLANPool. I reserve the use of the hyphen character for use only as part of the descriptor suffix, but will use the colon character both as a separator for the prefix and as a replacement for a slash character when naming port numbers, such as TenantX:L101..102:1:35-VPCIPG which also shows my preference for using double periods to indicate a range.  Hopefully the above example obviously describes a VPC Interface Policy Group for TenantX on port 1/35 of both Leaf101 and Leaf102.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Thanks.

what's best practice for subnets in BD? should we have one subnet per BD?

is I've multiple EGP tied to one BD then is broadcast limited to BD to EPGs?

Thanks and also - what's best practice for Application profile and EPGs? should I've all EPGs in one application profile?

or should I've application profile per application? i.e. say I've two applications - Transaction App & Scan App and each of these applications have Web, App, DB servers. should I've separate EPG for each of these Web, App, DB server and put Web-EPG, APP-EPG, DB-EPG under transaction app for transaction App's servers and Web-EPG, APP-EPG, DB-EPG under transaction app for Scan App's servers ?

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License