Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI Standard Contract vs Taboo

Wessam-88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

Can someone clear me the below questions regarding Standard contracts and Taboo contracts :

1) As i get tell now that when i create a standard contract filters, i can choose actions at subject for filters (deny or permit)

Based on this i can deny a few type of traffic , then allow the rest (permit any any)

*So why i would need  to use Taboo contract?

2) Do i have to apply Taboo contract to two EPGs or just one, and how it work?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Wessam-88 ,

Here is my advice.

Forget Taboo conracts exist, and never use them.  Also avoid using deny filters if possible.

Taboo filters don't work "between" EPGs, but are applied to an etire EPG.

So if you wnated to prevent an EPG from ever using cleartext communications, you could apply a taboo contract with filters for port 80 and 23 say.

But don't do that. Do it right the first time.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Wessam-88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @RedNectar , Thanks for help

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Wessam-88 ,

Here is my advice.

Forget Taboo conracts exist, and never use them.  Also avoid using deny filters if possible.

Taboo filters don't work "between" EPGs, but are applied to an etire EPG.

So if you wnated to prevent an EPG from ever using cleartext communications, you could apply a taboo contract with filters for port 80 and 23 say.

But don't do that. Do it right the first time.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License