Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI Tenant Design for VMware vSphere

packet2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm currently designing a new ACI Multi-Pod solution that will be used to provide connectivity for a large VMware vSphere infrastructure. I'm going to be keeping the design simple for the initial deployment by using a Network Centric approach so 1 EPG = 1 BD etc. For the VMware Infrastructure, is it considered best practice to place the vSphere infrastructure networks (management, storage, vmotion etc) within a dedicated tenant/VRF with separate EPGs/BDs for each vSphere network? For example:

Tenant: Infra_VMware

VRF: Infra_VMware

Bridge Domains: vsphere_mgmt_bd, vsphere_storage_bd, vsphere_vmotion_bd

EPGs: vsphere_mgmt_epg, vsphere_storage_epg, vsphere_vmotion_epg

Is this a good approach? Also would all of the above networks sit within a single application profile or different for each network/function?

I have not located any documents that detail best practices for hosting vSphere within ACI so not sure if this is the right approach or if I'm over complicating the design. 

Any guidance would be appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to add that this ACI deployment will only be used by a single company to host their data centre production workloads and will not be used by other companies/tenants. Not sure if that impacts the design choices/recommendations. 

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

its all depends on requirement and how you like to secure them in the domain to secure the host per service based kind of

i always contact local partner when we buying a solution sure we are buying and right equipment and right solution. so the investment is protected.

for reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/dcn/whitepapers/cisco-application-centric-infrastructure-design-guide.html

if this is internal DC then i would suggest to less complex than more EPG.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

packet2020
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks and understood. In this instance, VMware and all of the guest VMs etc, are managed by the same company so a seperate Tenant dedicated for VMware (or using the common Tenant) is probably over complicating it.

I will probably go with a dedicated VRF within the company's main Tenant, with seperate BD/EPG for vMotion, Storage etc.

Just wondering how other do this in thier environments?

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License