Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC and Open stack Integration- VM's are not getting IP assigned by DHCP

Hi ,

we have integrated our openstack enviornament  with APIC ; but VM's are not getting IP; we are able to see the IP assgined in openstack horizon dashboard and we need to configure it manully to the VM interfaces to make it work.

Setup Information:

We have installed all the components of openstack in one server(Controller+Network+Compute1) and connected to leaf101 and we installed compute on other server and conncted to leaf 102.

we have booted the VM in both compute1 and compute2. But dhcp IP not getting assigned to the VM. 

Please suggest if anyone has worked on openstack integration with APIC.

Openstack : Juno 

2 spine and 2 leaf switches with 3 APIC controller.

Regards,

Suresh

5 Replies 5

tbo2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Suresh,

When you run neutron agent-list, do you have DHCP-agent running? 

Could you also provide the following files:

/etc/neutron/neutron.conf

/etc/neutron/plugin.ini

/etc/neutron/plugins/ml2/ml2_conf_cisco.ini

Hi ,

Thanks for your response; 

Yes  DHCP-agent is running .

Please find the attached configuration which you are looking for. 

I'm not able to find any file called plugin.ini  (/etc/neutron/plugin.ini)

Thanks 

Suresh

Hi Suresh, 

Thanks for the config files. Can you also provide the ml2_conf_cisco.ini files from the compute nodes? 

On the APIC side, did you create a DHCP relay label with your BD and associate that BD to the EPG(containing your VMs)?

I also noticed that in your ml2_conf_cisco.ini that you provided, this part was commented out: 

enable_aci_routing=True

apic_provision_hostlinks=False

root_helper=sudo

apic_vpc_pairs=101:102

apic_provision_infra=False

use_vmm=True

This portion is necessary to have neutron talk with ACI. 

Hi ,

On the APIC side, did you create a DHCP relay label with your BD and associate that BD to the EPG(containing your VMs)?---

Suresh: We have not done anything related to dhcp realy label with respect to BD .. Please help us how to that and share if you have any docs related to this.

As i mentioned earlier our openstack setup is with 2 servers as below.

First:

Server1: Controller+network+compute------connected to leaf101

Server2: Compute ------Connected to leaf102

Note: We have not configured anything on server2-compute node ml2_conf_cisco.ini file.since its just a compute node.

We have booted 2 VM's using nova boot command from the server1 by inputing server1 as compute for vm1 and server2 as compute for vm2.  but both the VMs are not getting IP assinged to the interfaces rather IP will be shown at horizon dashboard and we need to configure the same ip address to the VM interfaces once it booted.

Second: As you have mentioned few parameters are missing from  ml2_conf_cisco.ini ..does these parameters connected with DHCP IP assignement ??  

My setup is working fine w.r.t openstack integration (except DHCP) as i'm able to see that APIC is able to discover the L3 Agent and also it automatically creates all required EPG and BD's..i hope this is the expected behaviour when we  integrate APIC with openstack. Please suggest if you find anything wrong with setup itself.

Regards,

Suresh

Hello

I have noticed that sometimes i need to add the IPTABLE entries manually on the nodes. something like the following

iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -p udp --sport 67:68 --dport -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m pkttype --pkt-type broadcast -j ACCEPT
hope that helps!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License