cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Association of EPG to Physical and VMM domain?

ndhan302
Level 1
Level 1

can we associate physical domain and VMM domain for a single EPG? is it recommended?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi @ndhan302 

Yes you can. If your EGP will have both phy servers and virtual servers, sure. There is no problem on having this.

Regards,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi @ndhan302 

Yes you can. If your EGP will have both phy servers and virtual servers, sure. There is no problem on having this.

Regards,

Sergiu

Do i need to use per port VLAN for VMM integration?

Per port is only needed in situations when you want to assign same vlan on same leaf, in 2 different EPG. This will convert the vlans to private vlans :-)

For VMM, you do not need per port vlan, as the encap vlan in this case is automatically selected from dynamic vlan pool, which should not overlap with the phy vlan pool.

Regards,

Sergiu

so when I deploy VMM, I need to use the same ENCAP for Physical & VMM because my customer is having same VLAN for physical and virtual servers.Is this possible?

Hi,

Do you have VMM integration? if yes, when you map an EPG to a VMM domain, the EPG is translated to an port-group on the hypervisor, and the vlan is dynamically allocated both on the PG and on leaf. So for the phy server you can set whatever vlan you want, but on the VMM integration the vlan is automatically configured.

Regards,

Sergiu

Thanks for your reply.

so can i have mulitple vmm domains associated to an single EPG?

e.g EPG 25--associated to VMM domain 1---(internal vlan pool range 301-400)

--associated to VMM domain 2---(internal vlan pool range 401-500)

1. can i use same vlan pool for both vmm domain.

2.how many vmm domain can i associate -any limitation?

should i take care of anything else.

Hello,

So can i have mulitple vmm domains associated to an single EPG?

Yes. An EPG can span multiple VMM domains and a VMM domain can contain multiple EPGs.

1. can i use same vlan pool for both vmm domain.

Multiple VMM domains can connect to the same leaf switch if they do not have overlapping VLAN pools on the same port. Similarly, the same VLAN pools can be used across different domains if they do not use the same port of a leaf switch.

2.how many vmm domain can i associate -any limitation?

According to scalability guide there is no limitaion for VMM domains associated to an EPG (see Endpoint Groups (Under App Profiles) >Maximum number of VMM domains)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/4-x/verified-scalability/Cisco-ACI-Verified-Scalability-Guide-422.html 

I would recommend reading the following document for VMM/EPG requirements, limitations etc:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/aci-fundamentals/b_ACI-Fundamentals/b_ACI-Fundamentals_chapter_01011.html#concept_892ACA4D8A924717A23BF780BC434DD9 

this is for ACI 5.0: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/5-x/aci-fundamentals/cisco-aci-fundamentals-50x/m_vmm-domains.html 

Best regards,

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License