Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACI

bensonlei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Guys,

I am jumping into Cloud computing, the virtual world.

My Questions:

1. May I know if Cisco ACI can also manage CSR 1000v and NX 1000v, or only ACI manage NX9000 series ?

2. Any Cisco Cloud suite, like VMware vCloud suite ?

3. How to do network troubleshooting, in traditional network troubleshooting, we have to jump into individual network devices, like eventlog viewing, interfaces status,,,,etc, if these activities can be achieved in ACI environment ?

Many thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tigephillips
Level 4
Level 4

1. May I know if Cisco ACI can also manage CSR 1000v and NX 1000v, or only ACI manage NX9000 series ?

===== The APIC (ACI controller) manages Nexus 9000 series switches running ACI software.  APIC also will manage distributed switches on ESXi servers (managed by vCenter).  That would cover the 1000v portion.  There is also a virtual switch that ACI can install that works with the VMware dswitch.

===== VMware, Hyper-V, and KVM hypervisors all have tight integration.  Visibility to information and the ability to create and delete objects in one place rather than having to coordinate between the two teams.  The cloud managers would need to integrate into ACI/APIC via the REST API.  Cisco Cloud Center does this, so do a few others (non cisco and open source).

3. How to do network troubleshooting, in traditional network troubleshooting, we have to jump into individual network devices, like eventlog viewing, interfaces status,,,,etc, if these activities can be achieved in ACI environment ?

===== Three (or more) options.  1. There is a GUI with probably 95% of what you want to see.  2.  There is a CLI that's modeled on NX-OS that has everything in a traditional switch.  3.  You can write a script/app that pulls the information you want via API (for common actions) and displays it however you want (this is a common option with clients).  4.  There is a GUI screen that maps a path through the network between two devices (hosts, VMs, etc) and shows you every port, Contract (ACL), link, errors, etc. all in a graphical form.  The example shown below is between a VM on a ACI controlled distributed switch to a VM running on a vswitch not managed by ACI.  I chose to show the contracts between them.

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 11.09.24 AM.png

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

tigephillips
Level 4
Level 4

===== The APIC (ACI controller) manages Nexus 9000 series switches running ACI software.  APIC also will manage distributed switches on ESXi servers (managed by vCenter).  That would cover the 1000v portion.  There is also a virtual switch that ACI can install that works with the VMware dswitch.

===== VMware, Hyper-V, and KVM hypervisors all have tight integration.  Visibility to information and the ability to create and delete objects in one place rather than having to coordinate between the two teams.  The cloud managers would need to integrate into ACI/APIC via the REST API.  Cisco Cloud Center does this, so do a few others (non cisco and open source).

===== Three (or more) options.  1. There is a GUI with probably 95% of what you want to see.  2.  There is a CLI that's modeled on NX-OS that has everything in a traditional switch.  3.  You can write a script/app that pulls the information you want via API (for common actions) and displays it however you want (this is a common option with clients).  4.  There is a GUI screen that maps a path through the network between two devices (hosts, VMs, etc) and shows you every port, Contract (ACL), link, errors, etc. all in a graphical form.  The example shown below is between a VM on a ACI controlled distributed switch to a VM running on a vswitch not managed by ACI.  I chose to show the contracts between them.

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 11.09.24 AM.png

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License