cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default access port-channel load balancing method and how to change it?

raarons
Level 1
Level 1

In ACI v4, what is the default PC or VPC load balancing method on access interfaces?  I've looked hard in the documentation and all I can see is references to changing to a symmetric hash.  I guess the default is asymmetric, but based on what, exactly, and is it possible to change it, either at the interface, leaf, or global level.  If it's documented, where?

Many thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Remi Astruc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

That is possible! You just need to unveil the hidden menu by actually selecting the Symmetric Hashing Control:

Clipboard01.jpg

Remi

raarons
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the response.  I had noticed that, but it only applies if you set the symmetric load-balancing option.  My question was what is it if you don't?  On further reading, I see the default mechanisms are stated in the ACI Fundamentals guide under "PC/VPC Host Load Balancing" there are default methods for PC and VPC, and it also says these are non-configurable.

So my question is partly answered.  If these are non-configurable, would setting the Symmetric Hashing option on a Port Channel policy have any effect?  Or is the guide incorrect?

I know the thread is a bit outdated but maybe someone will find this useful.

As per the Fundamentals guide, you have no control over the load balancing technique when you opt to implement the default load balancing algorithm in your port channel policy. But with the symmetric algorithm you can choose one of the displayed options. So to answer your question, yes: should have an effect.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License