Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does acsim work on workstation?

The OVA parts were merged into one using the command "type acsim-5.2-3f_part* > acsim-5.2-3f.ova".

The merged OVA file is loaded onto workstation , but it fails as a result.

Untitled.png

Does acsim work on workstation??

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Snika,

On a relatively new desktop with the following configuration:

- Intel i7 2.9GHz 8 Cores, 16 Logical Processors

- 32GB Memory

- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Running VMWare Workstation16 Pro Version 16.2.2

I have been able to get a "small topology"  (one APIC, one Spine, two Leafs) Simulator version 5.2.3f up and running.

Step 1.  I downloaded the 6 parts, checked MD5 for each one and then used the `copy /b ...` to build the single OVA file.

Step 2.  I opened the OVA file with VMware Workstation.  "out of the box" the Ova was configured for 40GB of memory and as you can imagine if I turned the APIC VM the Windows system became unusable.  So before turning it on I went to settings and reduced the memory requirement to 26GB.  

Step 3.  I changed first Network Adapter from NAT to Bridged mode.

Step 4.  I turned on or started the APIC VM.

- Say no to Large topology

- Take every default (including 1 APIC) with the exception of the management IP/Prefix and Gateway.

Step 5. Go through your Fabric Membership steps for the first leaf, the spine, and the second leaf.  Be VERY patient.

Following those steps, I have a 5.2 APIC running, I am able to log in via the GUI and I am also able to send configuration commands via REST.

Having said all of that, I would heed @Robert Burns advice.  These VMs were not really intended for laptops or general consumer desktops with the typical resources and while I was able to perform some basic functions, it remains to be seen if I can push an entire fabric design payload over to this VM.

If you search for issues relating to the ACI Simulators (VM version) you will see that they tend to fall into these categories:
1. Lack of resources (hardware resources, memory etc.)

2. Did not configure the Promiscuous mode on the VMware vSwitch

3. Changed the default values (other than the management Ip settings)

4. Lost configuration (the configuration will not survive a simulator reload)

5. No data plane (the simulator does not have a data plane)

View solution in original post

There seems to be a glitch in the image download process.

I re-downloaded the image and the problem was solved.

As you said, it works on workstations.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No its only supported on ESX.  Workstation is typically for laptops/desktops, and you need 12+ vCPU and substantial memory (RAM) which can we tough to find on a workstation.

Robert

delete

As you said, the Compatibility Matrix does not include workstations.
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/Website/datacenter/aci/virtualization/matrix/virtmatrix.html

But I have confirmed that it works on workstation.

The problem that OVA was not opened seems to be a problem with the image.

Re-downloading the image solved it.

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Snika,

On a relatively new desktop with the following configuration:

- Intel i7 2.9GHz 8 Cores, 16 Logical Processors

- 32GB Memory

- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Running VMWare Workstation16 Pro Version 16.2.2

I have been able to get a "small topology"  (one APIC, one Spine, two Leafs) Simulator version 5.2.3f up and running.

Step 1.  I downloaded the 6 parts, checked MD5 for each one and then used the `copy /b ...` to build the single OVA file.

Step 2.  I opened the OVA file with VMware Workstation.  "out of the box" the Ova was configured for 40GB of memory and as you can imagine if I turned the APIC VM the Windows system became unusable.  So before turning it on I went to settings and reduced the memory requirement to 26GB.  

Step 3.  I changed first Network Adapter from NAT to Bridged mode.

Step 4.  I turned on or started the APIC VM.

- Say no to Large topology

- Take every default (including 1 APIC) with the exception of the management IP/Prefix and Gateway.

Step 5. Go through your Fabric Membership steps for the first leaf, the spine, and the second leaf.  Be VERY patient.

Following those steps, I have a 5.2 APIC running, I am able to log in via the GUI and I am also able to send configuration commands via REST.

Having said all of that, I would heed @Robert Burns advice.  These VMs were not really intended for laptops or general consumer desktops with the typical resources and while I was able to perform some basic functions, it remains to be seen if I can push an entire fabric design payload over to this VM.

If you search for issues relating to the ACI Simulators (VM version) you will see that they tend to fall into these categories:
1. Lack of resources (hardware resources, memory etc.)

2. Did not configure the Promiscuous mode on the VMware vSwitch

3. Changed the default values (other than the management Ip settings)

4. Lost configuration (the configuration will not survive a simulator reload)

5. No data plane (the simulator does not have a data plane)

There seems to be a glitch in the image download process.

I re-downloaded the image and the problem was solved.

As you said, it works on workstations.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Hi @JustTakeTheFirstStep  

Good to hear you are up and running.

It is a common enough "glitch" which is why the MD5 check in Step 1 is so important.

I've been meaning to try bringing up the ACI Simulator using VMware Workstation for some time now, so thank you for the motivation!

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License