Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue Logging In to Nodes After They Were Removed From The APIC

doridor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,
I am in the process of wiping my ACI fabric, to do so I removed all of the leaves and spines from the fabric using "remove from controller" and wiped all of the APICs using acidiag clean,setup,reboot.
I now want to wipe all of the switches using "setup-clean-config.sh" in order to allow them to be discovered in a new fabric.
The problem is that is cant login to any of the switches. I tried to login using the local user that existed on the apics and using the admin user with no password.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the issue? I know I can wipe the switch with a console connection but I wondered if there is way to do so remotely since the leaves and spines kept their OOB configuration.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try with no password (Leave it blank).  If that doesn't work, then console is your only option to reset.  To avoid this going forward, while the nodes is still part of the fabric, you can remotely login and issue the "setup-clean-config.sh" command, then once it completes, go ahead and remove it from the controller while the switch reboots.  
Robert

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try logging in with the username "rescue-user" and the last known admin password.

Robert

@Robert Burns 
I still couldn't login , I did see a slight difference when trying to log in with rescue-user. I don't know if this an indication of anything but I thought I'd give it a try.

when logging in with rescue-user the prompt that is returned is:
ssh rescue-user@leaf101
Password:

When logging in with admin the prompt that is returned is:
ssh admin@leaf101
admin@leaf101's password:

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try with no password (Leave it blank).  If that doesn't work, then console is your only option to reset.  To avoid this going forward, while the nodes is still part of the fabric, you can remotely login and issue the "setup-clean-config.sh" command, then once it completes, go ahead and remove it from the controller while the switch reboots.  
Robert

@Robert Burns 
Thanks A lot Robert, Unfortunately I have to use a console connection but I now know how to avoid the issue for next time. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License