cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixing Access and Trunk Port in a Pysical Domain

ubcnathan
Level 1
Level 1

We're starting a migration to ACI, and starting with an EPG extension to connect the existing L2 devices.  My problem is that some server owners would like to have their switch port set up as an access port, and the L2 out is a trunk.  Is there a sane way to mix trunk and access ports in a physical domain?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @ubcnathan ,

Having some ports as access ports and and some as trunks is absolutely normal in ACI.  Not a problem.

When you link an EPG to a port, you'll get a choice of whether the port should be configured as a Trunk, Access (802.1P) or Access (Untagged)

RedNectar_0-1708561740119.png

Just choose whichever type you want. The 802.1P option leaves the port as a trunk, but the VLAN assigned will be Untagged (like a Native VLAN) 

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @ubcnathan ,

Having some ports as access ports and and some as trunks is absolutely normal in ACI.  Not a problem.

When you link an EPG to a port, you'll get a choice of whether the port should be configured as a Trunk, Access (802.1P) or Access (Untagged)

RedNectar_0-1708561740119.png

Just choose whichever type you want. The 802.1P option leaves the port as a trunk, but the VLAN assigned will be Untagged (like a Native VLAN) 

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Thanks,@RedNectar -

I was configuring that setting in the EPG -> Static Ports, but I also had the VLAN defined in the AAEP.  To resolve that, can I just remove the VLAN from the AAEP, and rely on the static port config to do the job?

Hi @ubcnathan ,

Yes. I was a bit rushed this morning. I was going to mention that all bets are off if you try and map up from the AAEP. If all ports are trunk ports you are OK, but the moment you define an Access Port mapping in the AAEP, it applies to ALL ports.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License