cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Routing Design

apache_le
Level 1
Level 1

I am designing an ACI fabric for a customer with multicast routing requirement. I read the ACI multicast white paper and have some concerns about some of the guidelines below:

.  Layer 3 Out ports and sub-interfaces are supported while external SVIs are not supported. Since external SVIs are not supported, PIM cannot be enabled in L3-VPC.
.  Layer 3 multicast is not currently supported on VRFs that are configured with a shared L3 Out.

So according to this guideline, shared L3out and L3 vPC are not supported. So if I have multiple tenants that need multicast routing, I will need multiple L3out (one for each) tenant and that L3out has to be physical interface or sub-interface? I would like to confirm this before finalize the design for customer.

The link to the white paper is:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/2-x/multicast/b_Using_Layer3_Multicast/b_Using_Layer3_Multicast_chapter_00.html

2 Replies 2

Joseph Young
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

-You are correct; each tenant should have its own l3out in order to get mcast routing to work.

-You are also correct about requiring routed subinterfaces or routed interfaces.

If inter-vrf mcast routing is required then you can have you external router do the vrf stitching.

Thanks of the confirmation.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License