cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Node-ID numbering Scheme

mmacdonald70
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,  I'm about to expand my ACI fabric to a multipod fabric with 3 pods.  This has the mid-term possibility to expand to 5 but I'm not ruling out more in the future.  I have two issues.

First, I'm having problems coming up with a usefull node-id numbering scheme.  What are others using for this.

I'm currently thinking:

Spine:

10XY where X is Site-ID and Y is Node-ID.

Leaf:

(0-1)XYY where X is Site-ID and YY is Node-ID

So Site 1:

Spines: 1010-1019
Leafs:   101-199,1100,1199
Site 5:
Spines: 1050-1059
Leafs:  500-599,1500-1599

I know this is way more than the number of supported leaf nodes but I like keeping my options open

Second, my existing numbering isn't optimal.  I know that there is no way to renumber in the gui but I'm wondering if anybody managed to renumber through the API.  I assume that if I really had to, I could wipe the existing fabric and rebuild it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

russhe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I like the numbering schema you came up with. At the end of the day, as long as it makes sense in your environment, that's what matters. I use 100-199 for Pod 1 leafs, 10XX for pod 1 spines, 200-299 for pod 2 leafs, 20xx for pod 2 spines, etc. This wouldn't scale to more than 3 pods though so yours is way better :)

For your second question, there is no way to change the node id without a wipe. You do not need to wipe the whole fabric; you can decommission single nodes, clean reload the node, and add it as a new node. You will then have to adjust any existing policies that are deployed to reference the new, correct node id

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

russhe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I like the numbering schema you came up with. At the end of the day, as long as it makes sense in your environment, that's what matters. I use 100-199 for Pod 1 leafs, 10XX for pod 1 spines, 200-299 for pod 2 leafs, 20xx for pod 2 spines, etc. This wouldn't scale to more than 3 pods though so yours is way better :)

For your second question, there is no way to change the node id without a wipe. You do not need to wipe the whole fabric; you can decommission single nodes, clean reload the node, and add it as a new node. You will then have to adjust any existing policies that are deployed to reference the new, correct node id

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License