Views
Helpful
Replies

OOB Management Solutions for Cisco routers

dfce
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo everyone,

I want to ask from your Experience with out of band management Solutions, what is the best Solution if the Primary management (inband)connection failed, what is most used Solutions for such a Situation, i know there are devices with LTE OOB connection for the emergency connection, the Question is theres better idea or can i connect an external LTE Device with cisco Router and use it for OOB management?

thanks

Titoss

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure you can use any method of OOB, if the whole network down, you can dial in to device to fix any issue.

if this is only 1 device ,that should work as expected seting up and remote VPN connection to device.

if this is large network you need to plan OOB network so you can get in to all devices in the network

Note : its all depends on use case.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi balaji,

thanks for your Reply, in my case its a large Network, and im not sure what is the best way to plan the OOB management, and what is the best alternative connection for the OOB, what would be your advice from experience in such Situation?

1- best oob method for large Networks?

2-best way to plan OOB if i have more than 1000 Devices?

3- Alternative connection LTE for example?

thanks 

titoss

1- best oob method for large Networks?

you need to create a seperate network for this - you need to look cost implications, and where these 100 devices will be in geo location, less than 300 meters (ethernet is good enough ?)

2-best way to plan OOB if i have more than 1000 Devices?

if this is more than 300 meter above you need to consider Fibre network ( as mentioned cost implication how much you need to spend, how critical is OOB for your network - this is manangement decision)

3- Alternative connection LTE for example?

Once you have OOB network you can use LTE if the primary Internet coming to network down, bare in mind of the LTE also from same provider you may have big issue too.

check my other suggestion to user :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-management/ouf-of-band-management-design/td-p/3928652

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License