Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Router IDs and multiple L3outs

brlehigh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,
I have a typical network-centric fabric design.  I have a need to create several L3Outs between ACI and a pair of ASAs (multiple contexts).  Even though we will only be doing static routing across these L3Outs, it appears I am still required to assign a router ID to each border leaf for each L3Out.
Since we will only be doing static routing over these L3Outs is there a reason that I can't or shouldn't reuse the same router IDs?
Happy to provide additional detail if needed.
Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the L3Outs are in the same VRF, as far as I remember, you will get a fault if you try to reuse the same router ID on different Leafs.

Also, the RID is per-VRF, meaning if you have multiple L3Outs on the same Leaf, you must use the same router ID in all L3Outs.

Take care,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the L3Outs are in the same VRF, as far as I remember, you will get a fault if you try to reuse the same router ID on different Leafs.

Also, the RID is per-VRF, meaning if you have multiple L3Outs on the same Leaf, you must use the same router ID in all L3Outs.

Take care,

Sergiu

Thank you, @Sergiu.Daniluk .  Helpful as always.
Follow-up question for clarification.  You said that the RID is per leaf, per VRF.  So, if I have 5x L3Outs within the same VRF, I would use the same RID on the leaf for each of the 5 L3Out.  This makes sense.
Let's say that each of those L3Outs in separate VRFs.  Am I able use the same RID for each of the L3Outs in this scenario?  If yes, is there any reason not to do this?
Thanks! 

Yes, you should be able to use the same RID in different VRFs on the same leafs. There are situations where you don't want to do it. For example a VRF sandwich design, where you have neighborship adjacency from your two VRFs with a FW that has only one VRF. In that situation, you will probably have issues with bringing up the adjacencies. In your case with static routing it should be ok, I don't see a problem.

Regards,

Sergiu

Hi Sergiu,

Do you know how to create multiple l3outs in the same vrf using postman ?

It is complaining about the same router id being using and i cant push the script without RID. 

If I create the l3out manually using GUI the router ID automatically pop up so its not an issue but using API it is complaining about Router ID

Any ideas ?

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License