Helpful
Replies

SPAN Session - Source IP

udo.konstantin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to configure a SPAN Session. 

What should be configured in the Source IP / Prefix field? On some ACI deployment I saw arbitrary IPs like 3.3.3.3 or anything like this. 

Any suggestion? 

Kind regards

Udo 

8 Replies 8

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I believe you are referring to an ERSPAN session. If so, that value represents the source IP used for the SPANed packets sent to the ERSPAN collector. Can be basically any value, but myself I prefer using the IP address of the BD where the destination resides (basically it's gateway). Just to avoid any unexpected filters/firewall rules etc.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This can used to identify the source leaf of the SPAN traffic.  If you configure a dummy prefix (ie. 192.168.1.0/24) then ACI will append the Node ID as the last octet of the source address.  This way you can distinguish when traffic comes from a particular leaf.

Hostname: NodeID

Leaf1 = 101

Leaf2 = 102

Would result in a source IP of:

Robert

This is definitely a much better approach

That's cool @Robert Burns !  This is definitive a great approach. Thanks for that. 

Also thanks to @balaji.bandi@Sergiu.Daniluk and @RedNectar

From my perspective I didn't found any explanation in the ACI documentation. 

Kind Regards

Udo 

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

HI @udo.konstantin ,

@Robert Burns & @Sergiu.Daniluk have nailed it - the Source IP helps identify WHICH Leaf/Spine sent which packets, which is especially useful if you have an ERSPAN set up span traffic from more than one Leaf.

In the sample capture I've attached (sorry - you'll have to unzip it first because this stupid site won't allow uploads of .pcappng) you can see that the first packet has an outer source IP of 1.18.8.154 - this is because I specified the source IP range as 1.18.0.0/16 - which explains the 1.18 part.  The 8.154 is bit trickier - it identifies that the packet was sourced from Node 2202.

2202 you ask? Let me leave you with this

(8 x 256) + 154  = 2202

I'll assume you know enough about IP addressing to join the dots!

image.png

Now - there are a few things you need to do with in Wireshark Analyse settings (Wireshark Analyse > Decode as) capture to get it looking like mine:

1. UDP Port 48879 decode as VXLAN
  2. Ethertype 0x8988 decode as Cisco ttag

And finally, don't forget that the EASIEST way to do a packet capture in ACI is via the Operations > Visibility & Troubleshooting page - where you can send the packets to the APIC and simply download then later (which is how the above was captured)

Oh - and if your output doesn't look like mine - i.e. the ARP gleaning packets are not identified - it's time to upgrade your Wireshark.

Also check out: https://community.cisco.com/t5/application-centric/aci-span-configuration-detailed-explanation-needed/m-p/4562875/highlight/true#M11920

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hi @RedNectar 

I just want to confirm I understand you  

Assume I would like to send packets sourced from leaf 1117. The Source IP ca be: 

192.16.(256*4).(+93)

And for leaf IDs which has only 3 digits, only the last octet is affected?!

Thanks 

Udo 

Hi @udo.konstantin ,

Assume I would like to send packets sourced from leaf 1117. The Source IP ca be: 

192.16.(256*4).(+93)

Correct - to achieve this, specify the source IP as 192.16.0.0/16 - I tend to use something totally unlike anything in the actual network - like 1.1.0.0/16

And for leaf IDs which has only 3 digits, only the last octet is affected?!

Again - absolutely correct

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License