cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

stateful filter in contract

kurtish99
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about the stateful option in a filter...regarding how to construct it so that it does what's expected.. consider this simple scenario:

Client EPG<--------CONTRACT----------<WebServer EPG

Let's say I want to build a contract to allow the client EPG to connect to the WebServer EPG on port 80.. standard stuff. However, I also want to prevent the WebServer EPG from connecting to the Client EPG and conducting an ACK attack, so I want to make it what ACI calls "stateful"... How would one set up the subject/filter? A single subject with Reverse Ports and Apply Both Directions checked, with a filter that has a single line of (tcp) any source to port 80 with the "stateful" box checked? Or would they have to be broken out some other way to ensure the WebServer EPG endpoint couldn't initiate a connection to the client EPG with setting it's source port to 80?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @kurtish99 ,

Before I start, you may find reading this post useful too.

OK Now start with a picture - with:

• Apply Both Directions set in the Contract Subject
  • Reverse Filter Ports set in the Contract Subject
  • Stateful flag set in the filter 

image.png

SYN packets from EPG User can happily reach EPG Web on port 80, and because both Apply Both Directions and Reverse Filter Ports is set in the Contract, the TCP SYN/ACK can find its way back from EPG Web to EPG User.

BUT because the Stateful option is set in the filter, the TCP SYN/ACK would NOT be allowed back if the ACK flag was not set in the "reversed filters" direction

• <Rant>Of course, if the Reverse Filter Ports was NOT set, the TCP SYN/ACK would have to have a DST port of 80, which is JUST STUPID - why Cisco even allow this combination in the GUI befuddles me</Rant>

So - back to your question, what's the purpose of the stateful flag.

To check the functioning of the STATEFUL FLAG, you'd have to spoof a packet from the Provider to the Consumer with a SOURCE PORT of 80 - like this where an evil person who has already compromised the web server has found port 23 open on a consumer device:

image.png

The whole idea of the Stateful option is to FORCE traffic from the Provider to the Consumer to have the ACK flag set, thereby preventing the Provider from sending a SYN packet to initiate a connection. 

You will also find @Sergiu.Daniluk's answer to this useful too.

And finally - if you want to explore the way filters/contracts work you may find the built-in contract_parser.py python script useful too - it needs to be run from a leaf switch. 

Leafxxx# contract_parser.py --epg tn-<YOUR_TENANT>/ap-<YOUR_AP>/epg-<YOUR_EPG>

or even

Leafxxx# contract_parser.py --epg tn-<YOUR_TENANT>/ap-<YOUR_AP>/epg-<YOUR_EPG> --port 22

I hope this helps.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @kurtish99 ,

Before I start, you may find reading this post useful too.

OK Now start with a picture - with:

• Apply Both Directions set in the Contract Subject
  • Reverse Filter Ports set in the Contract Subject
  • Stateful flag set in the filter 

image.png

SYN packets from EPG User can happily reach EPG Web on port 80, and because both Apply Both Directions and Reverse Filter Ports is set in the Contract, the TCP SYN/ACK can find its way back from EPG Web to EPG User.

BUT because the Stateful option is set in the filter, the TCP SYN/ACK would NOT be allowed back if the ACK flag was not set in the "reversed filters" direction

• <Rant>Of course, if the Reverse Filter Ports was NOT set, the TCP SYN/ACK would have to have a DST port of 80, which is JUST STUPID - why Cisco even allow this combination in the GUI befuddles me</Rant>

So - back to your question, what's the purpose of the stateful flag.

To check the functioning of the STATEFUL FLAG, you'd have to spoof a packet from the Provider to the Consumer with a SOURCE PORT of 80 - like this where an evil person who has already compromised the web server has found port 23 open on a consumer device:

image.png

The whole idea of the Stateful option is to FORCE traffic from the Provider to the Consumer to have the ACK flag set, thereby preventing the Provider from sending a SYN packet to initiate a connection. 

You will also find @Sergiu.Daniluk's answer to this useful too.

And finally - if you want to explore the way filters/contracts work you may find the built-in contract_parser.py python script useful too - it needs to be run from a leaf switch. 

Leafxxx# contract_parser.py --epg tn-<YOUR_TENANT>/ap-<YOUR_AP>/epg-<YOUR_EPG>

or even

Leafxxx# contract_parser.py --epg tn-<YOUR_TENANT>/ap-<YOUR_AP>/epg-<YOUR_EPG> --port 22

I hope this helps.

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Perfect! Just wasn't sure if a single-line in the filter would work, or if I had to build a second line with the stateful checkbox checked. Appreciate the help!

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks Chris for tagging, I think you wanted to reference this post about stateful option: https://community.cisco.com/t5/application-centric-infrastructure/meaning-of-stateful-flag-in-aci-filter/m-p/4278976#M9861

Cheers,

Sergiu

OOOOOOPs - sorry about that - and thanks for alerting me. Fixed now

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License