Views
Helpful
Replies

Static VLAN assignment in VMM Domain Intergration

swapnendum
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there a way to assign specific VLAN IDs to the dynamically Portgroups created by APIC on VMware VDS (or DVS) ?

I'm acheiving the static VLAN assignment result by doing it this way right now -

1. Assign one VLAN ID say vlan600 in the dynamic pool

2. Link VMM domain to the EPG  

At this point APIC will push a Portgroup with vlan id 600 onto the APIC Managed VMware VDS.

I use the above logic, and add one vlan at a time and link the VMM domain to achieve static vlan assignment.

is there a proper way to do it ? My rationale is to control the VLAN IDs mapped to specific EPGs. With a dynamic range, I loose control over which VLAN ID gets assigned to which EPG.

5 Replies 5

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

Thanks for using SupportForums

In later versions of code, there is a new option for static mapping from a VMM domain. 

When associating the VMM domain to the EPG, there is an option for static, then input the VLAN from the pool you wish to use. 

Keep in mind, the VLAN pool needs to have a static encap block for this to work without faults. Here are a few pictures

Just to add what Dan already provided..

Firstly I'd like to understand "why" you need to control the VLAN -> EPG allocation.  Since the allocation is controlled by the APIC, the VLANs are really arbitrary.  All you need is a block of IDs for VMM use, and ACI will do the rest.  What we advise users to do set a block of "x" VLAN IDs asside for VMM (where X is the # of EPGs you plan to bind to the VMM domain), and then just ensure they are plumbed down to the Hypervisor.  There's nothing more to worry about.  The EPG assignement is what's important here, not the specific VLAN. 

Also, when you plan on doing static VLAN assigment, you must ensure there is a "static block" of VLANs IDs assigned to the Dynamic VLAN pool.   The parent pool might be classified as "Dynamic, but in order to assign static IDs, it must contain a separate "block" of VLAN IDs configured as "static" mode.

Would like to hear more about your reasoning.

Thanks!

Robert

Some customers like to see the same VLAN id under the DVS<name>-portgroups section. Sometimes you can see a different VLAN number ie. EPF-100 and the 'Port-Encap' will show 101 or another number.  That throws a customer off and blame ACI or that it will not recognize the tags correctly.  I know it is just a 'label' but some customers get uneasy about it. More information on how to properly configure it would be great. Thank you in advance,

Yes, thank you. I had seen that one.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License